Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Re: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Spray the outsides of neg carrier with Rustoleum "Chalk Board" flat black spray paint (from your home or hardware store)... It is a tough paint, flat black, resists wear well and cheap/easy to use...

Don't paint the insides where the film sits, as most paints are slightly abrasive when dry, and can rub your negs the wrong way (slightly abrasive)... Put some masking tape on inside under the film cut-out gate and rest of inside, and allow a couple of days dry time before use...

Steve K

Re: Anyone Know the Type of Black Paint Used on Modern Omega 4x5 Negative Carriers?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Hey ic-racer I have the Pro Lab D5500 enlarger too. Nice enlarger though somehow one of the internal rubber rollers rotted away years ago. I converted it into a "cold light head" with some flashed diffuse opal glass and a computer fan because had to use 150W and 250W bulbs.
    The single piece negative stage on mine is definitely anodized but all my 8 or so omega carriers look professionally painted to my eye.
    You know there were two different negative carrier systems for that enlarger. If you have the lift arm then all the D5 carriers fit. The other way is to have the head down all the time and use the cassette system of the D5500. Those carriers are different. In the end they all work the same, though.
    I will say I use Glass 98% of the time in all my enlargers. I converted all my enlargers to glass carriers when I got my 10x10 Durst. It only can be used with a glass carrier (due to a powerful fan blowing on the carrier to keep it cool).

Probably does not matter how you address coloring the carrier. Even though I posted that DIY, I'd consider a professional anodizing. Otherwise probably any paint will do. If it chips at the edges, just touch it up with a brush.

I did this 'temporary repair' with some o-rings and rubber feet I found at the local hardware store almost 25 years ago on my two d5500 chassis. The repair is still holding up! They both move up and down nice and smooth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1777.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	247092

Beverly Hills, California

Thanks very much for the photo of the rollers. Now I know what it looks like back there and that it's a known issue (and not due to the NYC to LA UPS shipping as my original box came all mangled in 1997). I saved your post and photos on my computer for future reference. Hard to believe my Pro Lab II D5500 is 27 years old. I dont use it as much because I bought a new Sanunders LPL on liquidation before Bel Air camera in Westwood closed. But the D5500 is great to use with graded filters. Here are photos showing how I was able to convert my to a diffuse head using flash diffuse opal from a glass store. I had to offset the sheet of opal from the last condenser lease to prevent newton rings, otherwise went great. With the added heat of higher watt bulb, you will get popping of negative in glassless carrier.

Name:	20240224_190612.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	247094

Name:	20240224_190650.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	247095

Name:	20240224_191056.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	247096

Name:	20240224_190729.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	247093

Beverly Hills, California

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Spray the outsides of neg carrier with Rustoleum "Chalk Board" flat black spray paint (from your home or hardware store)... It is a tough paint, flat black, resists wear well and cheap/easy to use...

Don't paint the insides where the film sits, as most paints are slightly abrasive when dry, and can rub your negs the wrong way (slightly abrasive)... Put some masking tape on inside under the film cut-out gate and rest of inside, and allow a couple of days dry time before use...

Steve K
    Hey Steve, that's a brilliant idea! Absolutely brilliant.

In addition to assuring a smooth surface across which both sides of the negative can safely touch - it leaves the 2 interior surfaces of the sandwich unpainted, keep the beautiful original aluminum surface intact.

Meanwhile painting the 2 exterior surfaces of the sandwich flat black minimizes extraneous light.

Thanks again for the great idea
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 24-Feb-2024 at 20:48. Reason: clarity

Drew Wiley

Spray paint might be OK for DIY purposes if you choose the right type. But that wouldn't have been suitable for original manufacturing needs or its kind of durability. They would have used a baked enamel, and thereafter, black anodizing. For little nicks and exposed edges, Sharpie pens are a wonder.