Thread: Daguerre Camera

Daguerre Camera

Have seen some odd renditions of what his camera looked like. Notwithstanding the nice amount of actual data that survives concerning his camera, and the cameras typical at the time..

I have seen an illustration claining to be a diagram of his camera being used. Its called "the beast", and the oddity is two things. The first is that is identical to what we call an "afghan box camera" in design and construction. And 2, the camera has a reflex viewer and ground glass in the top of the camera. Being used in the illustration to focus the image that is going to be taken on the photographic plate.

The only thing i could get from the photo i found a few times, is that is has something to do with a museum or "factual website" based in california usa.

Re: Deguerre Camera

To my knowledge Daguerre and Niépce (and maybe Talbot) began their research using a camera obscura. Some of these had mirrors which would allow a piece of paper placed on top of a piece of ground glass for sketching. (Illustration of a typical one here: https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads...d-1536x806.jpg.) These look like an Afghan camera externally, but unlike them the processing does not happen internally and the focus mechnism is different. Later on Giroux made "official" dagugerreotype cameras.
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 23-Feb-2024 at 19:02.

Re: Daguerre Camera

Ive seen the actual cameras that still exist, and the patents for them.

What I am trying to get actual information on is a puzzler to me. The diagram was supposed to have been Dagueres camera the drawer notated as being refered to as "the beast" or "dagueres beast".

The camera was drawn in cross section, and it had the user viewing holding a small door on the top open, so as to peer at a ground glass directly above a 45* mirror. The funny thing is, the mirror and viewing window were between the lens and the film plate about to be exposed.

https://www.katebackdrop.com/blogs/i...camera-history
    Perhaps you are misremembering something like was the #5 camera on this page

multiplex

men of leisure were required to draw and sketch and know science and math. the invention of photography encompassed all of those things, and allowed some men (to be lazy?) and not have to learn how to draw because the photographic process drew things for them.

cowanw. that is one heck of a camera! I'm almost looking for a Kinora reel showing a woman inside and a prestidigitator sawing her in half!

Both Niepce and Daguerre improvised or had made for them a variety of cameras before practical photography was finally possible. Much information about the struggle of both men is available in the book, L. J. M. Daguerre, by Helmut and Alison Gernsheim. While many early images from those early cameras is included, only one of a camera, apparently the earliest version produced for sale to the public by Giroux, is included. Here is a better photo: http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/giroux.htm

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Or, perhaps, this type of camera is being referenced. I’m not convinced, though, that it had a reflex mirror, though. My impression is that the doors on top were just for loading/unloading the plate. But I could be mistaken.

http://www.antiquewoodcameras.com/Am...ferredDag.html

Thank you for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Both Niepce and Daguerre improvised or had made for them a variety of cameras before practical photography was finally possible. Much information about the struggle of both men is available in the book, L. J. M. Daguerre, by Helmut and Alison Gernsheim. While many early images from those early cameras is included, only one of a camera, apparently the earliest version produced for sale to the public by Giroux, is included. Here is a better photo: http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/giroux.htm
    Tin Can

The wollcott camera is closer to the drawing i saw, but the drawingof it being used, the person depicted it was an adult male. Taking into consideration the typical average height, the camera would have been 3-4 feet long, and 12x18" for the cross section. The woolcott cameras ive seen as "replicas" are all a nice lovely 5x7 in cross section.