Thread: Paper switching

Paper switching

In my need to constantly experiment I tried the same image with 3 different papers that I had on hand. It was an old log cabin in the woods so lots of middle tones, some blacks and dark tones, and very few light areas.

This was my method of working:
    1) Ilford MGFB Classic Glossy = Generally the first paper I pull out to make a basic print - image was ok but did not have the warmth the subject required. Grade 2.7 23 seconds gave good separation in the darker mid tones and good blacks. I cropped the image to more of a pano format and the photo became more interesting. 7.5 x 13.5. Initially the 8x10 may have just felt too small.

2) Ilford MGFB Warmtone Semi-Mat - Took a few tries to dial in the exposure because this paper is slow. Much flatter and a little green - would have to be toned to a warm gray and the blacks are not really black at all. Grade 3.2 68.3 seconds. I diluted the ansco 130 down to 1:3 and developed for 4 minutes but it was identical to the 1:1 for 90 seconds.

3) Ilford MGFB Classic Mat - This paper gave me the look I was after for this image. Rich blacks, warmer appearance due to the mat finish and 1/6 stop difference changed the depth and tonality when wet, we'll see after it dries for a week. (my darkroom is at another location). Grade 3 25.6 or 28.3 seconds. 33seconds was too dark.

My enlarger has 1/10 grade calculations for Green and Blue light timing.

So it begs the questions:
    1) Do you choose from a variety of papers for a given image for its characteristics, or do you usually print with the same paper for everything?
    2) What are your top 1-3 papers and why?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Paper switching

Good Question

I use different papers for different projects .. I am working with a street photographer its usually Ilford Warmtone Glossy, this paper IMHO is one of the best papers ever made in the right hands. One can manipulate this paper quite extensively, I do not like it with toning other than a slight selenium, (it goes too warm for my liking)
    For my personal work I like Ilford Classic Matt which is incredible for toning purposes and my go to for all my solarization work. I like the matt surface now as I am getting older over the gloss.
    For a lot of historical work I like Ilford Warmtone Semi Matt with a slight selenium tone, - this is pretty much my go to paper if I can convince the client .

so those are my top three. I also like Ilford Art Paper which kind of reminds me of the old style Ectalures and Ilfomars .

We never print three different papers for one show, but will do so if the client needs to see each one at the beginning stage.

I just handed off some prints to Larry Towell to sign for collectors that we did in Gum over Palladium, I know he prefers Ilford gloss but was happy to see a different perspective and appreciated the paper process different characteristics.

Anyone who says one paper is better than all others is a fool IMO.

we deal with this all the time as printmakers for others and this question is very close to my heart.

bob

Right now I'm using quite a bit of Fomatone, but I use Ilford papers too. I need to get in more darkroom time. Toning Fomatone is tricky as it can be quite dramatic.

Ilford MGRC for work prints, MGFB glossy for 98% of final prints, otherwise Ilford Art when called for.

I use one paper, and it's glossy. If I want a tone, I tone it.