Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New joiner and first question about 4X5 and 6x17

New joiner and first question about 4X5 and 6x17

Hi All,

Im Jan, new on the forum here, based out of Europe. Have a couple of years experience shooting LF and maybe some 20 years shooting analog photography in 35mm and MF. Havent owned a LF but have had use of friends' cameras over the last couple of years so im not an expert by any means but i understand what I'm doing somewhat by now.

I would like to get my own 4x5. So i have two questions:

1) I have decided to get a linhof as, for a somewhat unusual reason, i have access to these at a discount (and second hand). I am going to buy one of the newest models albeit second hand, either the "new" MT3000 or the newest MT Classic. Am i correct in my understading that the Classic can do everything that the 3000 and the reason to get the 3000 is for extreme wide anbgle lenses however with helical mount lens boards, these can be used on the Classic? So, all in all, the only reason to choose the 3000 over the classic is because you do not need a RF?

2) Can I fit a 6x17 back (that is not the Technorama) on one of these two cameras with full functionality, and choice of lenses ?

I appreciate your time and knowledge helping me answer these questions.

Re: New joiner and first question about 4X5 and 6x17

For a 6x17 back you'll have to get one of the Chinese 6x17 backs or similar. They are a bit agricultural in build but they work. They limit lens choices in two ways; firstly they extend the focus plane backwards by about 42-45mm depending on the exact model, which might limit your wide angle choices on a Linhof unless you go with a very recessed lensboard. Secondly, you'll not be able to use a lens longer than about a 180mm without the back cutting off the sides a bit. A tele lens with a circa-180mm flange distance might work.

Bit within those limits they add a lot of value to a 5x4" camera. I used one a lot on an Ebony then Chamonix (no limits on the wide end) with 90-150mm lenses and got some great shots.

Just to be clear on your question #2 - the answer is "No," you will not enjoy full functionality and choice of lenses when putting a 6x17 back on a 4x5. You will only enjoy full functionality in shooting 6x17 either with a dedicated 6x17 camera or with a 6x17 back on a 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Just to be clear on your question #2 - the answer is "No," you will not enjoy full functionality and choice of lenses when putting a 6x17 back on a 4x5. You will only enjoy full functionality in shooting 6x17 either with a dedicated 6x17 camera or with a 6x17 back on a 5x7.
    That is correct. Here is my take on 6x17 choices: https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...en-hao-ptb-617

T still like my FOTOMAN

Fits in a small case, with all I need including 5 rolls of film

I use the tripod as walking stick

Randy
    Tin Can

If no has said "welcome" yet, Welcome! You have lots of experience, so I look forward to seeing some of your work.
    Best of luck with the 6x17 plan. The wide dimension is more than 3x beyond my league.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Drew Wiley

You can use a 6X12 roll film back directly on most 4x5 cameras. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your next phase of the journey.

Welcome aboard!
    Bob Salomon is the resident Linhof expert who posts here.
    Perhaps he'll chime in.
    He can probably tell you not only what parts fit, but likely who built the part and on what day of the week.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thank you all for your feedback, I’ve much to think about at this point. Perhaps the 5x7 is the way forwards for me since my preference is longer lenses.

You could use a splitter and make 2 6 x 117's on a single sheet of 5 x 7.