Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 Developing tank

Re: 4x5 Developing tank

I have a Stearman and an old Yankee tank, but I usually use a Patterson Orbital. They are hard to find anymore, and for some reason no one has made a knock off, but I think they are the most versatile for a small darkroom, as you can develop 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10, as well as prints, in a very small space with very little chemical. I have the motor base as well, which is a useful upgrade.

I have the original Kickstarter Stearman Press tank, which is the one with the solid film holders, it has worked perfectly since day one. Which must be somewhere between 6-7 years ago.

To say I'm happy would be an understatement, and this is after wearing out a Jobo rotary processor over a 30 something year period of very heavy use.

I use a Jobo. Forever I used 1/2 gallon Kodak hard rubber tanks, with 4x5 hangers, 6 at a time. Back in the day I used replenished HC-110 dilution B. Now I use XTOL on the Jobo. Lots of rubber tanks and stainless around. I did it all in the dark with open tanks, easy, cheap.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Csholl View Post
    Yes... I'm thinking about doing trays too. I thought of getting some very small trays and making up an oblong structure with some spare wood, and then wrapping it with a sheet or two. Then cut holes for gloves and develop like that. Hopefully, trays aren't too difficult. I'm hoping the film doesn't scratch too easily doing it like that as long as I'm careful with rubber gloves and have it laid out properly. also, small trays I don't need a lot of developer unlike big tanks. Anyhow, I'll try it. I don't want to go through all that work and have marks on my expensive film.
    I've never used custom trays or anything like that. I've used the ones you get at the grocery store (they had lids) that were around 5x7, and I use cescolite .. shuffling in a tray is pretty easy. tbig rubber tanks and hangers can't be beat but they take up a lot of space .. if you can find tall rectangular tupperware food saver type containers work great for deep tanks, they are about 6" across and sometimes can be found at dollar stores .. and they have lids ...

thx
    Last edited by Csholl; 14-Mar-2024 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Csholl View Post
    Hi,

I started developing my first 4x5 negatives, but I notice the slots for my 4x5 tank are scratching the film on the edges. I'm using a RF developing tank. Do the tanks with hangers work better?

Attachment 246655 FR developing processing tank.Attachment 246656
    I use one of these all the time for 4x5 using fuji hru and they work fine. Scratching of edges can happen when removing sheets from tank. Two solutions to this.

1. Have tank full of water. Very slowly and carefully. pull each sheet out and the same angle as the rounded slots have on the end where you are removing the film. This works pretty well, but I prefer method #2.

2. After finishing washing film, drain tank, remove top, and lay down on it's side with the pieces that have the film slots on the top and bottom. Place a paper towel on work surface. Carefully pull out both film slotted pieces along with the films at the same time very slowly, and place them all on the paper towel. Gently grasp the upper plastic piece with both hands and remove vertically and evenly. The films are now standing upright being held by the plastic piece at the bottom. One by one remove the sheets by lifting evenly. This method works 100% and is very easy after some practice. So, we are removing the films from the slots at right angles to the slots instead of pulling them their entire lengths in the slots.

Have fun,

Alan Townsend