Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting article in the local news today.

Re: Interesting article in the local news today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    Sydney Harbour water certainly brings something to the process...
    Hmmmph. REAL photographers do it in water from Homebush Bay.

(The suburb of Rhodes, adjacent to Homebush Bay, was an industrial area that included many chemical factories like Union Carbide, where they made pesticides, timber preservatives, plastics and herbicides including Agent Orange. It was remediated around 2000 at enormous expense and is now high-density residential but the marine life in the bay and adjacent Parramatta River still have high levels of dioxins.)

Good for her! Film is a magic medium!
    I hope she is an inspiration to young artists that want to explore photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Watch grass grow, then have to mow - it's that time of year again.
    You don’t have a gardener for that?

While at the U. of Rochester eons ago...we'd joke that as we were downstream from the Kodak folks we could just dip and dunk our exposed films directly into the Genessee River for developing!

Drew Wiley

Michael, the only kind of help I can afford is called moles and gophers; and the cats get to them - occupational hazard. Meanwhile, both my gas trimmers are in the shop for repair. Too rainy these past several weeks to do yard work anyway, except for raking up all the downed branches. When I get a dry day, I'm out chasing the clouds with a camera.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    He’s not going to do that. He’d be exposing himself to backlash. You can’t troll a group once people know who you are.
    probably right, but there's always a glimmer of hope ... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    probably right, but there's always a glimmer of hope ... LOL
    I think for some people it's a kind of gut/instinctive reaction to anything they don't personally like getting "airplay"/recognition. I've been guilty of this myself on occasion when something just sets me off because I find it to be a gimmick in a mature artform (and this is a thing in ALL artforms). Actually come to think of it I remember once long ago on APUG you took issue with a similarly dismissive comment I made about photographs a guy was making (I can't remember his name - something like McCaw maybe?) using aerial lenses pointed at the sun which would result in arcs literally burned through the film. I was not impressed, but others evidently thought it had merit. Just an example.

In the end these sorts of reactions are always just a combination of personal taste and bitterness. It doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong, but then there are always others who are simply shattered by any sort of negativity, and that is basically how these threads go.

multiplex

I likes macaws work! I think it was the wet plate photographer in Bismarck or something. I mean I liked some of the portraits but the weird photo of some scantily clad woman with a fossilized jellyfish in her mouth changed my impression lol. I am not usually like that but I think i has collodion overload.. the difference is that hopefully i have added something useful before and after my unfortunate short sighted obnoxious comment…

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I likes macaws work! I think it was the wet plate photographer in Bismarck or something. I mean I liked some of the portraits but the weird photo of some scantily clad woman with a fossilized jellyfish in her mouth changed my impression lol. I am not usually like that but I think i has collodion overload.. the difference is that hopefully i have added something useful before and after my unfortunate short sighted obnoxious comment…
    Hey remember that guy on APUG who used to make those somewhat weird wet plates (I think) of people and sometimes celebrities? He was very popular on the forum - like every time he posted an image there would be tons of comments "love it!" "superb!" etc. Then one time somebody said something like "I don't understand this" and the photographer's reply was "you=idiot" and he left the forum in a huff. Good times.

multiplex

Illumiiquest? His portraits are pretty amazing.. he was doing paper negatives before WP. I remember some image purists were not liking his methods…. I do t recall the idiot comment but there are a lot of opinions out there …. I seem to remember early riser claiming his camera was invisible and he shows reality ( his images looked like an acid trip ). .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ photography is fun. Might as well enjoy oneself.. easier than ever to make photos…