Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Proof Sheets for 5x4 and medium format nagative film?

Re: Digital Proof Sheets for 5x4 and medium format nagative film?

I use 4X5 iPad 6

on old copy stand

I align by grid

Hi rez and fast
    Tin Can

Some further thoughts. Over the past few days I’ve been testing Delta400 with Pyrocat to find speed and development standards. Vuescan & Epson 4990 in PrintFile sheets have been a quick and easy way to make contacts as soon as the film was dried, to see what’s on the roll. But scanning doesn’t give the info you need to see to determine if you are over- or under-developing. For that I needed to find the darkroom settings f-stop & time) to make ”proper proofs” (min exposure time for margins to print as black) which tells much more about processing. So scanning wins for speed and minimum effort, but gives less information than darkroom contact sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Some further thoughts. Over the past few days I’ve been testing Delta400 with Pyrocat to find speed and development standards. Vuescan & Epson 4990 in PrintFile sheets have been a quick and easy way to make contacts as soon as the film was dried, to see what’s on the roll. But scanning doesn’t give the info you want to see if you are over- or under-developing. For that I needed to find the darkroom settings f-stop & time) to make ”proper proofs” (min exposure time for margins to print as black) which tells much more about processing. So scanning wins for speed and minimum effort, but gives less information than darkroom contact sheets.
    I find that I can make adjustments in photoshop to compensate for various exposures.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Some further thoughts. Over the past few days I’ve been testing Delta400 with Pyrocat to find speed and development standards. Vuescan & Epson 4990 in PrintFile sheets have been a quick and easy way to make contacts as soon as the film was dried, to see what’s on the roll. But scanning doesn’t give the info you need to see to determine if you are over- or under-developing. For that I needed to find the darkroom settings f-stop & time) to make ”proper proofs” (min exposure time for margins to print as black) which tells much more about processing. So scanning wins for speed and minimum effort, but gives less information than darkroom contact sheets.
    I find that if you set the black point to the clear film base during scanning it does give you an indication of over or underexposure in the scan.