Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designing and printing a 4x10 holder

Re: Designing and printing a 4x10 holder

Lasse, I'd love to see your baffle looks like (the canvas and folded brass plate). I've tried making wooden holders, and this, to me, is the most difficult part.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    Didn't know what the springs were called and that you can by them. I made a tool to make it easier to cut.
    Attachment 246466

And I loaded it with film today and let it sit outside in daylight for a couple of hours. Nothing, so it seems light tight enough. And this was with my home printed dark slide too.
    Spring strips like this are made to form a radio frequency shield for slide-in electronic items. I have yet to find a design that is the right size and cost, though I think some people have had success.

Did you use a saw to cut with the jig, or tin snips? I figure a saw, as snips will tend to deform the sheet. It looks like two sides to the jig, which should avoid distortion.

The construction pictures on the Thingiverse page were very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    Spring strips like this are made to form a radio frequency shield for slide-in electronic items. I have yet to find a design that is the right size and cost, though I think some people have had success.

Did you use a saw to cut with the jig, or tin snips? I figure a saw, as snips will tend to deform the sheet. It looks like two sides to the jig, which should avoid distortion.

Thanks.
    I actually used my trusty Fiskars Scissors. First one side of all fingers, then turn it over and the other side from the same sid so to speak. Since it's pressed together with the jig, distortions are manageable.
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Lasse, I'd love to see your baffle looks like (the canvas and folded brass plate). I've tried making wooden holders, and this, to me, is the most difficult part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	246475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	246476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	246478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	246479

It took a few iteration to get right.
    In the end I got a 0.15 mm brass spring sheet, and cut it to dimensions.
    I made a jig for the fingers to cut them out.
    And then bended them a little.
    As canvas I found some light proof cloth. Probably intended for lights blocking curtains. It's thin (0.45mm), soft and probably polyster or similar. Fairly lint free it seems.
    Since I've tried a 0.12 mm steel spring sheet too. Worked as well or even better

Seems to work, but if it stands up for longer abuse we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post

Also, I found out that if I tape the spring sheet with textile tape on one side when cutting, it's easier to cut and deforms much less.