Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: \Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

Re: \Grand Teton National Park and travel east accross Wyoming and Nebraska

Although I'm not a geologist, I thought John Mcphee's book "Rising from the Plains" was a great introduction to the landscape, geology and history of Wyoming's wild and harsh land. This is from a review "John McPhee joins geologist David Love for a tour of the Wyoming countryside. Well at least, McPhee uses their drive along Interstate 80 as a jumping off point to spin a tale or two. Painting on a broad canvas, he pieces together a detailed picture of Wyoming from its rich geological history, to the hearty characters that settled there."
    I also enjoyed McPhee's book "Basin and Range" on the Nevada area.
    Thad Gerheim

Other greats books for Wyoming travelers are "Roadside Geology of Wyoming" and "Roadside History of Wyoming". Each chapter refers to a particular road/highway, and you read forward or backward depending on which direction you are driving. All of the western states have these.

Good recommendations, Thad! I never met David Love, but I grew up in Casper with a father who was a geologist for Marathon Oil, so I got a lot of geology on our fishing and backpacking outings. My dad did know Love - it's a small state, population-wise!

Drew Wiley

My dad knew a lot of geology due to his background supervising dams and canals in the West, and would take me out of school for a couple weeks a year to explore back roads and do rockhounding. My grandfather was quite a rockhound and agate collector too. Then I took a lot of geology, geomorphology, and paleontology courses in college, having grown up surrounded by all kinds of rocks - little ones, big ones, and downright monoliths thousands of feet high. Then my nephew got a degree in Geomorph and set up his own Geophysics company, and became a climber as well - now his own kids are into it. Kinda runs in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Good recommendations, Thad! I never met David Love, but I grew up in Casper with a father who was a geologist for Marathon Oil, so I got a lot of geology on our fishing and backpacking outings. My dad did know Love - it's a small state, population-wise!
    That would have been a wonderful way to grow up in a state like Wyoming! And well I never met John McPhee but I do know his daughter, 8x10 photographer Laura McPhee. It's still a small world.
    Thad Gerheim