Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero Ektar 343mm / 13.5" / F3.5 Info

Question Aero Ektar 343mm / 13.5" / F3.5 Info

Hello all,

I recently scored one of these lenses removed from the electronic shutter assembly prior to ownership. I have been talking to SK Grimes regarding a barrel to join these two elements together but they have ZERO data on this particular lens and I am not able to find anything specific to this focal length Ektar when scouring the web. Has anyone here ever owned one of these that could shed some light on this lens? SK is needing to know what the length of the original shutter was in order to proceed. I was able to reach out to an ebay seller that has one of these (the only one on ebay) to see if he could measure his shutter assembly but I am not sure I can trust the measurement that was provided.

I see other Aero Ektars in similar shutters but I cannot make assumptions on those since they don't house this particular lens. The shutter that this was mounted in was a K-19 Army Corps night shutter. Only data I can find is on the K-19b which housed the 12.5" / f2.5 Ektar.

Any advice or pondering that could be tossed my way would be great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-02-08_08-55-51.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	246342

Name:	2024-02-08_08-56-30.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	246343

-Brandon

Re: Aero Ektar 343mm / 13.5" / F3.5 Info

I've never even heard of this lens before- but I can tell you that by the serial number, it was made in 1942. Best of luck in your search!

About 20 years ago I pulled a (big) box of four of them out of a dumpster next to a camera store (somewhere in Queens) that had closed, along with a few other choice items. Two were marked Eastman Anastigmat, and two Kodak Aero-Ektar. There were minor differences between them.

• One Kodak Aero-Ektar had discolored (yellowish orange) elements similar to the "radioactive" Kodak Aero-Ektars, this lens was mounted like yours
    • Two of the lenses (one Kodak Aero-Ektar and one Eastman Anastigmat) were mounted in barrels (aluminium I think) with no iris or opening for stops, one of these also had a hood and lens caps that matched the barrel.
    • One of the lenses (Eastman Anastigmat) was mounted in a barrel with an iris (marked f3.5-32)

All of these lenses were 13.5" f3.5, and all had the same design: Five elements in three groups, which kind of reminds me of a Zeiss Sonnar. I found reference that it was intended to cover 9x9 film, like the 12" f2.5 Aero-Ektar. I also wrote in my notes that the spacing for the 13.5" and 12" lenses are identical, so (some) 12" Aero-Ektars screw right into the barrel of a 13.5" Eastman Anastigmat.

I ended up keeping the best Eastman Anastigmat elements and the barrel with iris, caps, and hood. I have it mounted on an 8x8" lens board (I don't know if it would fit on anything smaller) but have rarely used it.

Here is a drawing I made of the design, no promises for the accuracy of the measurements. I am not sure why I made it. It will take me a while but I will try to make measurements of the barrel for you and post them here. Feel free to nudge me if I forget or take too long.

Name:	Anastigmat.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	246356
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 10-Feb-2024 at 12:07. Reason: Attached an old drawing

I just took a quick measurement of the shutter of my 12" f/2.5 Aero Ektar. It's a tough measurement to make, so, I am probably off by a few thou', but I got 3.867"
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 8-Feb-2024 at 12:10. Reason: Removedd clutter
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Look at you providing what the internet cannot. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you measure the barrel. And thank you so much!

SK Grimes is looking at placing waterhouse stops in the barrel for this lens but were surprised when they came up empty on any design records for this particular lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    About 20 years ago I found a (big) box of four of them in the dumpster next to a camera store (somewhere in Queens) that had closed. Two were marked Eastman Anastigmat, and two Kodak Aero-Ektar. There were minor differences between them.

• One Kodak Aero-Ektar had discolored (yellowish orange) elements similar to the "radioactive" Kodak Aero-Ektars, this lens was mounted like yours
    • Two of the lenses (one Kodak Aero-Ektar and one Eastman Anastigmat) were mounted in barrels (aluminium I think) with no iris or opening for stops, one of these also had a hood and lens caps that matched the barrel.
    • One of the lenses (Eastman Anastigmat) was mounted in a barrel with an iris (marked f3.5-22)

All of these lenses were 13.5" f3.5, and all had the same design: Five elements in three groups, which kind of reminds me of a Zeiss Sonnar. I found reference that it was intended to cover 9x9 film, like the 12" f2.5 Aero-Ektar. I also wrote in my notes that the spacing for the 13.5" and 12" lenses are identical, so (some) 12" Aero-Ektars screw right into the barrel of a 13.5" Eastman Anastigmat.

I ended up keeping the best Eastman Anastigmat elements and the barrel with iris, caps, and hood. I have it mounted on an 8x8" lens board (I don't know if it would fit on anything smaller) but have rarely used it.

Here is a drawing I made of the design, no promises for the accuracy of the measurements. I am not sure why I made it. It will take me a while but I will try to make measurements of the barrel for you and post them here. Feel free to nudge me if I forget or take too long.

Name:	Anastigmat.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	246356

I'll be curious to see whether Jasons and my measurements agree. (see my previous post above, #4 in this thread )
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I am curious also. I wish I had one to measure myself but I found this guy on the cheap, the seller thought it was two separate lenses and ruined due to the yellowing. Hard to pass up @ $75 but was so surprised at the lack of info. You would think this shutter / lens combo would be listed under all the other Fairchild shutter combos but NOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I'll be curious to see whether Jasons and my measurements agree. (see my previous post above, #4 in this thread )

I will check this weekend! Just noticed another note from about the same time which said that the 610mm Aero Ektar (F6?) also has the same barrel size. This might be a hallucination, but I can measure that one too.

Here is a better view of what I have. I am guessing this in intact or am I missing anything besides the barrel?

Name:	420252402_1064023831499650_1937708380433979587_n.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	246357

Name:	421036185_1412054579706636_5508734511805819749_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	246358

That looks right to me. How much staining in the rear element?