Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beseler 45MX condenser bellows vs focus bellows

beseler 45MX condenser bellows vs focus bellows

On the 45MX there are two bellows - one between the negative stage and the light source (head), the other is below the negative stage for focus. Is there a purpose to raise or lower the distance between the light source and the negative? I have always left it so the light is closest to the negative (collapsed). I am thinking it may have to do with single point bulb heads vs a diffused light source.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: beseler 45MX condenser bellows vs focus bellows

the condenser bellows is to adjust the light coverage for different formats. the one under the neg is for focusing the image. get the manual, it explains it.

btw my condenser bellows has a scale on the right side with the formats so you have an idea where you are...

with no neg, raise the head to your desired image size, then see if it has an even light in your frame. as you move the condenser bellows up n down you will notice the light will clip the corners.

Interesting - my Ilford head comes with different diffusion boxes for different formats so I have never needed to adjust the light source bellows. Good to know about the corner clipping aspect, that may be why I leave the bellows collapsed. Also the negative carriers have smaller openings for different formats so not sure it would matter since you are using the center area of the light source.

Beseler diffusion heads are run with the upper bellows collapsed to get the light surface as close to the negative as possible. Swapping the internal diffusion box in heads like the 45s can optimize the light for the format, but I have to admit I tend to leave it as 4x5 unless i am doing 35mm. It still runs with the upper bellows collapsed.

With the condenser head, the upper stage needs to be adjusted so that the negative is fully illuminated - collapsed for 4x5, and fully extended for 35mm. It can be done by eye if the scale is not fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    On the 45MX there are two bellows - one between the negative stage and the light source (head), the other is below the negative stage for focus. Is there a purpose to raise or lower the distance between the light source and the negative? I have always left it so the light is closest to the negative (collapsed). I am thinking it may have to do with single point bulb heads vs a diffused light source.
    Do you have the manual?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 11.30.30 AM.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	246204

Just to clarify: If you are using the condenser light source, you need to adjust the upper bellows to the right height for the size of negative you are enlarging. Originally, the enlargers equipped with condenser heads had a scale marked by negative format as a guide (35mm, 6x6, 6x9, etc.). You'd set the bellows using that.

If you are using a color head or a cold-light head, the upper bellows need to be completely collapsed to get the diffusing screen as close to the negative as possible. That goes for all Beseler color heads and after-market diffusion/cold-light heads of any brand.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Just to clarify: If you are using the condenser light source, you need to adjust the upper bellows to the right height for the size of negative you are enlarging. Originally, the enlargers equipped with condenser heads had a scale marked by negative format as a guide (35mm, 6x6, 6x9, etc.). You'd set the bellows using that.

If you are using a color head or a cold-light head, the upper bellows need to be completely collapsed to get the diffusing screen as close to the negative as possible. That goes for all Beseler color heads and after-market diffusion/cold-light heads of any brand.

Best,

Doremus
    Thanks - that gives the detail I was looking for. IN addition to the corner clipping advice above.

You don't specifically say what type of head you are using. If you are using a diffusion or cold head, you are all set. If you are only using 4x5 with a condenser head, you are still OK. If you want to use smaller formats, you need the adjustment stick for the best results -- that tell you where to set the upper bellows. It's pretty easy to forget to adjust this if you use more than one format. It's #27 in this photo -- easily lost if you use a colorhead -- it's held on with two small screws that are even easier to lose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beseler4x5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	246347

xkaes - I got my enlarger second hand and never had that "adjustment stick". My current head is the Ilford Multigrade 500 VC head. But I have always used with color heads or cold heads which pretty much required having the bellows collapsed. I need to find one of those older lamp houses for when the electronics and heads start to fail and I can't force myself to shell out $$$$s for the heiland products.

Like I said, if you just stick to diffusion heads, so are all set. If your's dies, replacements are pretty cheap.

If you do add a condenser head (also pretty cheap), you will need one of these adjustment sticks -- impossible to find. You could make one easily with a piece of cardboard, but you'll need to get the measurements from some one who has one -- like me.