Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak 10 Inch f/6.3 Commercial Ektar - Help

Re: Kodak 10 Inch f/6.3 Commercial Ektar - Help

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithManyHobbies View Post
    I wonder if there are any online sources for servicing this shutter myself or a vender?

-JW:
    Take a look at this, it may be useful. The Ilex shutter isn't especially complicated, but if it requires more than just cleaning the components (IE: if something is damaged/broken) then you won't get very far. It's entirely possible that you can get the front plates off and simply swab the components with Naphtha and Q-tips and all will be good. But you won't know till you've attempted it.

If something is indeed broken, then you'd be better off sending it to Carol at Flutot.

Very cool Paul. I would definitely give this a try. I am mechanically inclined to some degree.

Thanks

Very cool Paul. I would definitely give this a try. I am mechanically inclined to some degree.

Thanks
    So, not long ago (early August) I acquired a Kodak 8.5" Commercial Ektar in a No. 3 Acme (Ilex) shutter and it was bought with the shutter condition listed as "not working". I took off the front plates and speed cam ring, cleaned the components in place using the Naphtha and Q-tips approach, flushed out the gear train a couple times, and it has run perfectly ever since. You may be lucky and find you get the same result with that approach. Be sure to take a photo as you disassemble it, so you know how it goes back together!

I'll give it a try. BTW, I've never used Naphtha. I'll snag some on Amazon. Any particular brand I should look for?

I'll give it a try. BTW, I've never used Naphtha. I'll snag some on Amazon. Any particular brand I should look for?
    Naphtha is the same, regardless of brand. If you just want the smallest quantity, get the small bottle of Ronsonol Lighter Fluid.

... will do. Thanks.

I wonder if Amazon will ship naphtha. Ronsonal might be the easier way to go. Even easier, send the shutter to Carol at Flutot camera repair for a proper overhaul and CLA

+1 for Carol but is she still doing shutters?