Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant sequoia / redwood advice

Re: Giant sequoia / redwood advice

The tallest coastal Redwoods around here are up in the 370 to 380 foot range. Took me awhile to find one that I could see the whole tree!

This was with two 4x5 negatives with a 150mm lens...(silver gelatin prints). No idea how tall this tree is -- the model is about 6 foot tall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RedwoodPC.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Interestingly, tonite there was a half hour PBS segment on Nelder Grove, filmed after the big fire, but prior to last year's extreme winter. The current docent appears to be either a niece or daughter in law of someone I went to school with. As per the Bull Buck tree itself - approximately 250 ft tall and over 30 ft in diameter, estimated 3000 yrs old.
    Was that an Outside Beyond the Lens?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Yeah, one of the Aialo brothers, if I've spelled it correctly - the one that lives down in Clovis like you. But they seem to still have a cabin up around Beasore Mdw. The other brother presumably still at Bass Lake had the Outside show which was more back country oriented, and has now gone quiet. They're a younger set than me, so I never knew them, and frankly didn't care much for Bass Lake or Oakhurst either - too developed for my taste even back then.

I once walked to North Fork via the hardest possible route across the Patterson Bend canyon of the River, and frankly, it was one of the steepest most strenuous hikes of my entire life, and more remote than many high country destinations. I've also hiked the canyon wall directly up from Redinger using waterfall chains - nuts too. Otherwise, driving, I always picked up what is now called the "Sierra Scenic Byway" right there at the intersection of the North Fork mill instead, generally headed the Granite Creek direction. But I did explore Nelder Creek on foot in the Fall a few times, and often drove the Beasore Rd too. Shuteye Peak was our front patio view, with Mt Ritter and the Minarets visible a short walk up the road.

I miss that place - but so much of the view changed with that gigantic recent Creek Fire! There went up in smoke affordable fire insurance rates too! But I sold it beforehand simply because the property was too much work to continue to maintain at my age. And one CANNOT get behind when it comes to brush and grass control fire prevention.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 8-Feb-2024 at 11:10.