Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: indicator stop bath

indicator stop bath

Is there any logical reason to think that an indicator stop bath like Ilford ilfostop will cause any staining issues?

Also on ilfostop, bh photo video makes this statement on it,

A full working strength solution will produce 150 135-36 or 120 films or 600 20.3x25.4cm (8x10") RC prints or 300 20.3x25.4cm (8x10") FB prints

ANYONE ever achieve that production run?

Re: indicator stop bath

No, the dye in Ilfostop (or Kodak Indicator Stop bath) will not stain photographic materials unless you misuse it. Follow the directions.

I have never needed to replace a stop bath in a printing session. Use Ilford’s capacity instructions and you will be fine. The only caveat is that a citric acid stop bath (Ilfostop) working solution will generally not store as well as acetic acid so don’t keep it longer than Ilford recommends (ie 7 days).

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    Is there any logical reason to think that an indicator stop bath like Ilford ilfostop will cause any staining issues?
    No.

Also on ilfostop, bh photo video makes this statement on it: A full working strength solution will produce 150 135-36 or 120 films or 600 20.3x25.4cm (8x10") RC prints or 300 20.3x25.4cm (8x10") FB prints
    ANYONE ever achieve that production run?
    You should learn to be a bit more trusting. Why do you suspect that Ilford, a company that's been in business for decades, has a good reputation and is a leader in the industry, would sell you a stop bath that would stain your prints? And why should you doubt their capacity recommendations?

Furthermore, technical data sheets for all Ilford products are easily available from their website or by just Googling the product name. Here's the one for Ilfostop: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f...5/product/669/

Best,

Doremus

I use Citric acid food grade

I can tell by touch when it needs replacement
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I use Citric acid food grade

I can tell by touch when it needs replacement
    Yes that is basically as good a test as the dye colour change anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    You should learn to be a bit more trusting. Why do you suspect that Ilford, a company that's been in business for decades, has a good reputation and is a leader in the industry, would sell you a stop bath that would stain your prints? And why should you doubt their capacity recommendations?

Furthermore, technical data sheets for all Ilford products are easily available from their website or by just Googling the product name. Here's the one for Ilfostop: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f...5/product/669/

Best,

Doremus
    im trusting to a point, but in the past i have gotten Ilford technical support email folks to admit to things about their 35mm film stock and even about dd-x developer that contradict the CURRENT printed material.

im trusting to a point, but in the past i have gotten Ilford technical support email folks to admit to things about their 35mm film stock and even about dd-x developer that contradict the CURRENT printed material.
    Stop baths are the simplest part of the process by far. An acidic environment stops the developer activity. That’s really all there is to it. Just follow Ilford’s directions and you’ll be fine. You have to be really, really bad at this to screw up with stop bath.

I have to order film, stop bath, and fixer. I think ive settled on Ilford.

Mixed up a new liter of DD-X,,,, test rolls of delta 400 just playing in the yard with the zone system.. Accidentally used fixer instead of stop bath.. film still turned out great. Oddly, even considering the over exposing i was doing.. the negatives came out better then the last few rolls i shot.

I admit that some of the exposures i made were bad.... but some are so nice and crisp its not funny. But i have to admit the zone system may not work so well with a matrix/averaging TTL meter system.

Drew Wiley

The whole point of Indicator Stop Bath with its litmus dye is that it tells you when it's exhausted by the color change from yellow to purple. But I never use it to the point of exhaustion anyway. My reason for using it is to save me time from actually measuring the amount of dilution. I just mix it to a pale piss color for sake of my film development drum or tray, then toss it afterwards.

In terms of Ilford's own instructions, those are relative to their own films. Some EU films were/possibly still are, quite sensitive to too strong a concentration.