Thread: Best method for labeling glass plates?

Best method for labeling glass plates?

I'm looking for advice on the best way to label old glass plate negatives. My aunt is involved in the historical society where she lives, and they have been given a collection of old glass plates. There is still someone in town who can identify many of the people, and they would like to label the negatives while that person is still around and have labels that will last. There is no border on the edge of the plates (the image goes to the edge). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Best method for labeling glass plates?

How many? What size?

There are archival envelopes

Or glassine like stamp collectors

Or slotted wood boxes

By morning an expert will be here

My collection has few

Get a drawing light table

I love plates

I would like to see copies too
    Tin Can

I'd opt for glassine envelopes for each negative, write a description on the envelope, but number the envelope and attach a dot sticker to the (non emulsion side) of the negative with a corresponding number. If you wanted to get fancy about it, you could buy a roll of Twin Checks for this purpose.
    Ideally, if the cataloger has time, a searchable database should be created with all the data so that if someone in the future comes to the archive asking about a specific person, you could search the database and instantly identify which plate number(s) represent that person.

Sleeved plates could then be archived in an appropriate storage box, like the ones Gaylord makes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I'd opt for glassine envelopes for each negative, write a description on the envelope, but number the envelope and attach a dot sticker to the (non emulsion side) of the negative with a corresponding number. If you wanted to get fancy about it, you could buy a roll of Twin Checks for this purpose.
    Ideally, if the cataloger has time, a searchable database should be created with all the data so that if someone in the future comes to the archive asking about a specific person, you could search the database and instantly identify which plate number(s) represent that person.

Sleeved plates could then be archived in an appropriate storage box, like the ones Gaylord makes.
    Thanks for the advice! Very helpful.

multiplex

hi oddbotkin

you might call gaylord brothers up and ask them directly what they have to store glass plates. they supply archives and libraries with everything you can imagine for storage. I know a lot of people give glassine a bad wrap, if you are on edge about glassine they might have acid free non buffered paper that is pre folded to insert your plate and then slide right into a non buffered thumb tabbed envelope. I store just about everything I make in things gaylord makes. they sell book making and repair things too if you ever get the itch to do that.

if there's no border for marking with an archival pen, I'd be making digital copies of the plate and using that for reference with detailed notes. I'd be worried that glassine (or others) sleeves could be mixed up and notations on them, rendering moot. Very unlikely to happen, but it could.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    hi oddbotkin

you might call gaylord brothers up and ask them directly what they have to store glass plates. they supply archives and libraries with everything you can imagine for storage. I know a lot of people give glassine a bad wrap, if you are on edge about glassine they might have acid free non buffered paper that is pre folded to insert your plate and then slide right into a non buffered thumb tabbed envelope. I store just about everything I make in things gaylord makes. they sell book making and repair things too if you ever get the itch to do that.
    Tin Can