Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: why they remove the price after an item is sold ?

Re: why they remove the price after an item is sold ?

why they remove the price after an item is sold ?
    Good question. What is being covered up?

I guess I'd not buy from them. Perhaps already on my ignore list anyway as I'm not seeing it much.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Current snapshot only - eBay deletes completed auctions after a relatively short period, I think it's 90 days now. ...<...>.
    IDK I figure if I am selling a 14" Verito today do I really care about too far back? maybe that's just me. I figure yesterday's gone .. I can't buy leaded gas for 65 cents, a pack of butts for 50 cents, a 3 penny nickel for a dollar or a Verito lens for 3bucks ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    If the seller wishes to delete the asking price, that is his prerogative. There is no obligation to leave asking prices so someone else can later use the information for their own purposes. This forum is not a blue book of camera values.
    There are advantages for both the seller and buyer to eliminate the original price posted and the final sale prices:

Sellers may drop their price let's say 25% in private negotiations for a specific item. If they have other things they're selling, other buyers will think they can also offer 25% less for the other items. A seller may get a reputation for inflating their original prices for other things later even if he doesn't.

Buyers may become sellers of the same item if they decide not to keep it. They don't want the price they paid or originally advertised known.