Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gatorboard "Ultra" for Camera Builds?

Re: Gatorboard "Ultra" for Camera Builds?

A fixed focus box could be a thing, maybe not the longest lived object, but could be a lot of fun for at least a few outings. (I used to do a lot of pinhole in a variety of sizes in both plywood and cardboard box "cameras")
    I hadn't heard of the "ultra" gatorboard yet, thanks for making us aware.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Longevity would not necessarily be important as I could easily refabricate and swap out parts, as I can on my "el cheapo" DIY plywood cameras.

But taking such a camera out and about close to home is one thing...while taking it farther afield would require me to acquire a very firm understanding of the camera's limitations - to assess whether or not I could work within these and achieve the results that I'm after. Then again, as my plywood models are so very simple and as the Gatorboard parts would be so light...I could see bringing some of these "spare parts" along to field-swap as needed.

A bit on the hypothetical side at this point...but still worth some thought IMHO.

Later Edit: My current plywood/mahogany mashup 11x14 weighs in at 14lbs. I if I can cut enough holes and blind (routed) channels into this camera to bring its weight to around 10lbs. without overly compromising structural integrity, then I'll likely do this instead of moving forward with a Gatorboard camera.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Re: Gatorboard "Ultra" for Camera Builds?

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

About 10 years ago I built my first 20x24 out of pretty thin black foam board and duct tape. Simple sliding box design. It sat on two sawhorses. That was fine as long as there was no wind. An old 420 mm process lens. I built a film holder out of black foam board too. (Not a good idea). At the time you could still buy 20 x24 (ASA 50) off the shelf from Central Camera in Chicago for a few dollars a sheet. The whole thing was not quite square - more like an 8th grade science project. It should not have worked well.

Yet it did work remarkable well and took remarkably good photographs and started me on my path of ULF. I had real craftsmen make cameras for me after that.

So I encourage any exploration of gatorboard. Don't be reluctant to use duct tape !