Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 multi-sheet processing: anything between SP-8x10 and Jobo 3005?

8x10 multi-sheet processing: anything between SP-8x10 and Jobo 3005?

Hi,

Are there any multi-sheet 8x10 daylight processing equipment in between SP-8x10 and Jobo 3005?

I recently started 8x10 and got excellent results processing B&W in a Stearman Press SP-8x10. One sheet at a time of course.

Now that I can shoot multiple sheets (4-6) in one portrait session, I'm looking for multi-sheet processing options to save time. It seems the default choice will be Jobo 3005. But it looks quite big and requires the motor base, both of which might be problematic for my small home "darkroom" (a guest bathroom) with very limited counter space. And it costs more than the Kodak #2 camera kit I have.

Another option might be several Cibachrome/Unicolor paper tubes. In photos, they look slightly smaller than the Jobo 3005. And maybe I can hand rotate multiple of them in a small bathtub. Is it doable if you have experience?

Yes another option is those plastic tanks that handles 12 sheets. But it is a bit difficult to do agitation - I had mixed results (uneven development) with similar 4x5 Yankee tank.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated too.
    Zheng L.

Re: 8x10 multi-sheet processing: anything between SP-8x10 and Jobo 3005?

Personally, I would strongly recommend the Jobo 3005 drum as it will provide the most even development, IMO. You don't need a Jobo processor or any type of motor base to use a 3005 drum. You can build an inexpensive roller base and manually spin it. But, to answer you question about doing >1 sheet at a time, you could:

1. Tray process (requires some sort of dark room, of course)
    2. Tanks & hangers (again, requires working in the dark)
    3. BTZS tubes (might be hard to find used and you can only do 2 sheets at a time)
    4. Homemade tubes (you could process as many as you could reasonably handle and keep track of)
    5. 8x10 reels for Paterson tanks (I don't think any of these are available new so, again, you're looking at used)
    6. Send out to a lab (but, it sounds like you want to process yourself)

I'm sure others will jump in with more suggestions. Good luck!

I use KODAK hangers mostly for film, but I can also do paper or glass

I have Calumet gas burst tanks
    Tin Can

Tray development is a simple inexpensive set-up that gives great results. With practice, one can do many sheets at a time. I still use trays for my 11x14 negatives (one at a time). But one needs the space for the trays (there are a few options for small surface area for trays) in a very dark room. I use 14x17 trays to develop the 11x14, and stack a couple of the trays on the work surface. 8x10 needs at least an 11x14 tray for development and fixing.

Stainless steel 8x10 hangers and tanks. Agitation needs to be done correctly to avoid surge-marks - can be done with experience (subject to differing opinions). One is dealing with more chemistry per batch, though. I never have done replensing of developer, but might be advantegous to do when using larger tanks.

If one can keep track of the holders in the dark, one can even use different developing times for each sheet of film during one developing batch. But the possible surge marks might be your biggest hurdle. My experience was with 4x5, and we taught that method at the university for the sake of ease and consistancy for the Adv Photo class and their one 4x5 assignment during the semester. If students went further with 4x5, some switched to tray development after awhile...depending on their style, how many sheets they went through over the semester, and such things. Perhaps someone with experience with 8x10 hangers can add their experience with them.

The prices are high, no doubt in that, but I have found that a used 3005 and a motor base has been a great equipment investment for me and my productivity. So it depends on where one's photography is going and how much film will one be using. The Expert Drums are well made and can last one's working career life-span...then, depending on the world economy at that time, can be resold. Just don't drop them from waist-level onto a hard surface, use them as pots for plants, cook meth in them, or stuff like that. Motor bases have their issues...important to keep the drum from 'walking' off the motor base. The drone of the motor and wheels turning the drum is not overly-obnoxious until it is.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You can try the Jobo print drums. I have a few of them. Though, sometimes, depending on the film and chemistry, marks can be left on the back of the film. These were never intended for sheet film processing. They are (or were) inexpensive.

These two drums together hold 4 8x10 sheets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jobo_2850_001.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	245794

with the Jobo you don't really need a motorized base, although it does remove the tedium. I've been suggesting to others with the 3005, that they can simply roll it in the sink, back and forth, back and forth etc.. One does need to make sure there's enough sink space that the drum can make more than one revolution. If I'm not in my darkroom with the CPP-2, I use a motorized Simma roller base.
    Last edited by Fred L; 23-Jan-2024 at 06:28.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will assess my development needs and invest accordingly.
    Zheng L.

If you can find them BTZS tubes came in 8x10 and you load one sheet per tube but process them together. I could never do more than 4 4x5 tubes at a time and keep track of development time even with dilute developers that allowed more time.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Jobo 2550 tank and Catlabs reel, or the Poilot (Chinese) equivalent of both will process 3 sheets of 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Tray development is a simple inexpensive set-up that gives great results. With practice, one can do many sheets at a time.
    Like Vaughn, I do it "old school", in trays. I prefer it - the contemplative darkness is soothing and an opportunity to extract myself from the audio-visual noise for a while.