Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: life of photo flo

life of photo flo

What is the general thought on when one should get rid of the current batch of mixed working stock photo flo?

Re: life of photo flo

Such a tiny amount required at very high dilution - I just mix fresh whenever I need it to avoid any issues

I never need it

I use high grade hot and cold water filters
    Tin Can

multiplex

I’ve never made a diluted photo flo always seemed like a waste of effort and risky (some people who are much smarter than me say it grows mold after a while)… A few drops of stock solution in a tank or tray of film is all that’s needed ... my little amber bottle purchased in the 70s ran out about a year or 2 ago, I replaced it with photoflo 2000 ( not sure what the difference is besides being 4x the volume and in a clear plastic container ) .. will probably last beyond 2100.... the stuff in undiluted stock concentration doesnt' seem to go bad.
    Last edited by jnantz; 16-Jan-2024 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I never need it

I use high grade hot and cold water filters
    ?

High quality water is not a substitute for a wetting agent.

the batch i have was made to a recipe on photrio. 200 ml 91% rubbing alcohol, 1 ml photo flo stock solution, distilled water to 1 liter.

I honestly think i have been using it since august of 2022... on sunday I developed a roll of film and used it, and it was failing to do anything so i dipped my thermometer into the stock photo flo and stirred it into my working solution, instantly slightly bubbly on top like when i originally made it. Still havent used it this week. no time to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    ?

High quality water is not a substitute for a wetting agent.
    BS No Soap
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    What is the general thought on when one should get rid of the current batch of mixed working stock photo flo?
    It is meant to be used once and discarded. You can save it and reuse it if you are developing multiple rolls of film in the same session/same day, but don't bother saving it for reuse beyond the day you mixed it. I mean, it's so inexpensive - a small bottle will last for years.

The photographer who doesn't use something like Photo Flo probably makes up for that by using more Spotone. Photo Flo is much less trouble, especially when used in distilled water.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    the batch i have was made to a recipe on photrio. 200 ml 91% rubbing alcohol, 1 ml photo flo stock solution, distilled water to 1 liter.

I honestly think i have been using it since august of 2022... on sunday I developed a roll of film and used it, and it was failing to do anything so i dipped my thermometer into the stock photo flo and stirred it into my working solution, instantly slightly bubbly on top like when i originally made it. Still havent used it this week. no time to.
    Most likely it’s better to use the real deal instead of home brew stuff over on paux30 read what photo engineer says about the subject he was a Kodak engineer…