Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Iceland, torn on 4x5 vs MF 6x6

Question Traveling to Iceland, torn on 4x5 vs MF 6x6

We're heading to Iceland this summer after having to reschedule from last summer. I know it's gonna be a logistical challenge to get my 4x5 kit up there. I'm hoping my camera pack is just sized right to put in the overhead bin as Iceland Air is quirky about that sorta thing. Planning on having film shipped to our first stop to avoid any potential x-ray arguments since I was gonna take the big box of TMX (50ct), stacks of Ektar since those only come in 10 (*sigh* *glares at Kodak*) and some Provia perhaps (unsure if the new stuff is still around but I have a frozen box of it). I thought about IR but being that far up there I thought that might prove challenging, though no doubt would be pretty awesome to have waterfalls on black skies.

I've got a 210/f5.6, 150/f5.6 and 90mm/f8 but was thinking about grabbing up a 75mm to replace the 90. Not sure if I should bother bringing the 210 as well.

Anyways! One thing I started thinking about recently was wind. That's a dice roll. My Manfrotto carbon might not be quite up to the task (especially since it has no weight hook) to the point I was pondering taking my Hasselblad and picking up a wide lens for it and a buncha backs. The perk there is I can use Portra 800 which I rather enjoy and it can double as my normal travel camera.

But I enjoy taking 4x5, by far and I tend to take better images. So given the option that's the right answer at least for the landscapes and I might just take a 35mm (and/or my MFT kit) for the normal travely stuff.

I read up on some ideas to break the wind here. If the wind is so strong it bends car doors open I suppose neither camera system might be ideal...

Re: Traveling to Iceland, torn on 4x5 vs MF 6x6

For 4x5 I think the 210 might be just right for a number of things, myself.
    But it's a tricky decision. The wind will likely be a factor, and rain. If it's your first visit you might appreciate being quicker to set up / break down, and having more frames, because there will be a lot of potential subjects.

See if you can get the camera lava-proofed as well !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    For 4x5 I think the 210 might be just right for a number of things, myself.
    But it's a tricky decision. The wind will likely be a factor, and rain. If it's your first visit you might appreciate being quicker to set up / break down, and having more frames, because there will be a lot of potential subjects.

See if you can get the camera lava-proofed as well !
    Hahah indeed. I should have said _if_ we go, given the current continued eruptions. I am pretty quick to setup generally. Compose not so much (but that's partly why I like 4x5). The ease of the 'blad indeed had me pondering that. I'll likely spend more on a 50mm lens and more backs for it than a 75mm lens which is also a factor. Adorable camera though I quite enjoy it, just not as much as 4x5.

Wind and maneuverability would be my concerns. Taking the LF kit necessarily involves a separate piece of luggage/method to carry it, whereas the 6x6 will travel "lighter." Also you can use the 6x6 in walking around mode, and you cannot do that with the LF rig.

I've traveled with a 4x5 and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do it again Unless it was a once-in-a-lifetime location where photography would be (basically)the only reason I was there. I don't do many of those trips! Most of my trips are for business (not enough time for photography) or they are family vacations and my kids don't want to stand around when I set up for 15 mins to take 1 photo! I am traveling in a few weeks and I'll be bringing a 6x6 TLR to wander around the streets and parks with. It won't require anything extra besides a light meter; maybe a light knapsack or fanny pack in case I want to tuck it away and be less conspicuous.

Enjoy your trip. I recently learned that it's easier to get to Iceland than it is someplaces in the United States, from the east coast of the US!

If I have no immediate plans to return to a location then large format is my choice though I personally prefer 8x10. I always carry a 35mm on those trips as well.

If this is a scouting trip or I plan on returning within the year I will pack my Rolleiflex.

In my case Iceland would be a once in a lifetime trip so I would install a weight hook on my tripod for sure .
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I've only been once and it was too windy for a view camera the entire time. It was difficult to open a car door at times.

Indeed windy to open a car door means...uhh...shooting LF inside the car? :P

I've gotten pretty good at traveling with my 4x5. I look rather goofy walking through the airport with two packs on (my LF on my back and my "backpack" on my front) but it works. Those logistics I'm quite used to and like the tradeoff if it means I can take photos using the process I enjoy the most. Heck even brought a 4x5 on a cruise ship :P

8x10 I couldn't do unless I was staying long enough where it was worth it to ship the gear. As much as I adore 8x10 contact prints, I'm not ready for traveling with that. Especially since I only have a Sinar F2 ("Field" is a lie :P) and ah Intrepid 8x10 MK2 (which isn't particularly fun to use due to the film holder issues)

Wind though...if it's car door breaking strong, can't exactly hand hold my field camera and that certainly gives a nod to the Blad. Limits me in regards to panoramics though. I say Blad but I still have might bring my SQ-Ai. I'm switching to the Blad and selling the Ai but haven't yet and it has the 3 lens trifecta and 2 backs.

It would be ok, I just know I wouldn't be nearly as critical using it.

I guess regardless, I can't find a way to add a hook to my existing tripod so getting one that has a hook might be a required investment...

Don't buy a new tripod just for the hook. Use some rope/paracord around the center column hang the weight from it. I just saw a Youtube video on this exact problem of how to weight down the tripod when your center column is hook-less.

Orr this, a tripod hammock. Put some rocks in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 2.03.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	245579
    BTW, it rains horizontally in Iceland, at least in the winter.

It's impossible to try and predict the weather on Iceland other than it's predictably unpredictable.
    What I would say, is going for a longer period, say a month, vastly increases your odds of fine weather!

At the time, I took a Fuji GSW690iii and a Mamiya 7ii and I had a blast.
    MF clearly wins hands down when it comes to setting up, breaking down, (un-)loading and moving from location to location, between the crowds, these days. I also found the sheer volume of subject matter, overwhelming. There are pictures to be taken all over the place. And while I'm all in favour of reining in, there are times when you just don't want to hold back, and your first trip to Iceland is one of them!
    Fortunately, you'll have 24hrs of daylight, so whatever you do, make sure you take enough film with you!

Now, If I were to go again, I'd probably take LF but that's simply because I've already got my fill of the most popular locations.