Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson Scan cutting 4x5 scans into strips

Re: Epson Scan cutting 4x5 scans into strips

Quote Originally Posted by spike42 View Post
    Thank you both for the advice. It's these holes, correct? If so, they appeared clean, but I gave them a blast of air duster just in case. Same issue :\
    Attachment 245571

Also, what I'm seeing isn't exactly like the strips djdister posted in their screenshot. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm seeing as well. (Please excuse the terrible photo I'm trying to scan)
    Attachment 245573
    Why is Target Size so small? 1.6" x 3.85"

As an aside, nothing to do with this problem, but why do you set for color negative film and 16 bit grayscale?

Quote Originally Posted by spike42 View Post
    Thank you both for the advice. It's these holes, correct? If so, they appeared clean, but I gave them a blast of air duster just in case. Same issue :\
    Attachment 245571

Also, what I'm seeing isn't exactly like the strips djdister posted in their screenshot. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm seeing as well. (Please excuse the terrible photo I'm trying to scan)
    Attachment 245573
    I checked my 4x5 holder vs the medium format holder. The medium format holder has one less hole, the one by itself on the 4x5 is not there on the medium format. Maybe the sensor or light going through isn't working. That could account for the medium format strip scan. Try the 35mm slide holder to see if you get the correct scan selection. It has that extra on the 4x5 and only 2 of the 3 of the others. If the extra isn;t working, you should get some strange result.

Coding: see picture. The hole on the right might not be working. If not, the 4x5 holder would work as a 120 holder. Try the 35mm holder to see what you get. You don't need slides I don't think to test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    The 4x5 film holder that came with my v750 Pro holds 2 negs, which is not too bad. Other than that, the dot pattern seems to be identical.
    Attachment 245585

However, my 4x5 film holder does NOT have the two long open areas (circled in red) that yours appears to have. What are those for? Do your other film holders have those narrow openings in them as well?
    Attachment 245586
    Those long holes have sliders that raise and lower the holder to find optimum focal point. They're furnished with the V850. I found they really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Those long holes have sliders that raise and lower the holder to find optimum focal point. They're furnished with the V850. I found they really make a difference.
    Thanks. Interesting that they made that change from the v750 film holder and also made the 4x5 holder for 1 neg instead of two. The raising/lowering options for my holders are rudimentary at best.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    However, my 4x5 film holder does NOT have the two long open areas (circled in red) that yours appears to have. What are those for? Do your other film holders have those narrow openings in them as well?
    Attachment 245586
    They do, they're for height adjustment but the 4x5 holder is missing the little tabs. Here's the 35mm holder:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240117_184403.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	245680

These were sold as "genuine" Epson film holders but I'm beginning to suspect that's not the case. I wonder if my film being oriented in the other direction is confusing the scanner?

Why is Target Size so small? 1.6" x 3.85"

As an aside, nothing to do with this problem, but why do you set for color negative film and 16 bit grayscale?
    Target Size is being set automatically, I've tried changing it but it always changes itself back. I can't find a setting to disable this. I assume it's getting that from the dot codes but I'm not sure.

And the negative settings are because I'm a dumbass and misread some notch codes in the dark bag, so a sheet of Portra went in my Stearman tank with a bunch of HP5+ and got developed in Ilfotec DD-X.

Coding: see picture. The hole on the right might not be working. If not, the 4x5 holder would work as a 120 holder. Try the 35mm holder to see what you get. You don't need slides I don't think to test.
    35mm slide and strip holders are both working normally. :\