Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 2509N reel problem

Re: Jobo 2509N reel problem

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Just take the lid off, put in the reel, fill so that the top of the reel is covered by 5-10mm of water and then decant into a measuring cylinder.
    Even 1,400mL of water fills the tank.

What developer are you using? Is it HC-100?
    Ilford Ilfotec LC29. It's my favorite developer.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Huub

These marks are indeed related to the nodges inside the reels. I had issues with them as well when using rotation development, sometimes in combination with surge marks along the long side of the negatives. I used 1+1 XTOL on a CPE-2 processor at the time and it showed on all sorts of film, including HP5+, TMX and Foma200. I tried all sorts of things, even clipping away those nodges, but to no avail. In the end i stopped using rotation development and went back to normal reversion development using replenished XTOL. This solved the surge mark issues and the nodgesonly show up every now and then. I accept them as being part of the whole process just as those typical 4x5 rebates are.

Just take the lid off, put in the reel, fill so that the top of the reel is covered by 5-10mm of water...
    The top of the 2509N reel sits above the top of the 2520 tank. It's only covered when the lid is on.

The label on the tank says that for inversion agitation, 1300ml is required for 9x12 and 1500ml for 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    These marks are indeed related to the nodges inside the reels. I had issues with them as well when using rotation development, sometimes in combination with surge marks along the long side of the negatives. I used 1+1 XTOL on a CPE-2 processor at the time and it showed on all sorts of film, including HP5+, TMX and Foma200. I tried all sorts of things, even clipping away those nodges, but to no avail. In the end i stopped using rotation development and went back to normal reversion development using replenished XTOL. This solved the surge mark issues and the nodgesonly show up every now and then. I accept them as being part of the whole process just as those typical 4x5 rebates are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    The top of the 2509N reel sits above the top of the 2520 tank. It's only covered when the lid is on.

The label on the tank says that for inversion agitation, 1300ml is required for 9x12 and 1500ml for 4x5.
    Thanks for the additional replies.
    Yes, I'll try 1,500mL!

Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    Thanks for the additional replies.
    Yes, I'll try 1,500mL!
    Which brings us back to my original post in this thread which was that I suffered uneven development due to the long fill time with large volumes of developer. Much better and more consistent results were achieved using continuous rotary agitation and minimum solution volumes: for HC-110 I typically use Dilution B 1+39, which for 6 sheets is 360ml of working strength developer.

I really wanted inversion agitation to work with the JOBO tank and reel, but could never get even development. A soon as I went to continuous agitation with small volumes I got quality and consistency. Note that in the larger 2550 tank I have processed 12 sheets of 4x5 on two reels, as well as 6 sheets of 5x7 and 3 sheets of 8x10 and the same method (continuous agitation, small solution volume) has given the best results. The big 2550 tank needs 3000ml for inversion agitation: the fill and drain times are significant. For 12 sheets of 4x5 (or 3 sheets of 8x10) it only needs 720ml at 1+39 or 580ml at 1+31.

Anyway, I recently purchased an additional 2509N reel.
    And now I'm going to trim the nodges on this reel.
    I'm okay with small marks, but I don't want big, dark marks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_240111_0019.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	245515

Anyway, I recently purchased an additional 2509N reel.
    And now I'm going to trim the nodges on this reel.
    I'm okay with small marks, but I don't want big, dark marks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_240111_0019.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	245515
    I am puzzled by you saying you’re getting the same marks with a B’s insert which is totally different than the Jobo reel. Nothing touches the emulsion when using the B’s thing.

I've always used 1500 CC in my Multitank 4 and Multitank 5, with no paddles. Sheet film 9x12cm and 4x5. Also 120 and 220 even mixed without problems. My darkroom is cold right now, development times are very long at room ambient.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I am puzzled by you saying you’re getting the same marks with a B’s insert which is totally different than the Jobo reel. Nothing touches the emulsion when using the B’s thing.
    This issue occurs with both inversion agitation and continuous rotary agitation(B's processor, not B's 4x5 developing reel).

p.s. If you've tried the minimal agitation or seme-stand with B's 4x5 developing reel, I would like to know what the results were.

This issue occurs with both inversion agitation and continuous rotary agitation(B's processor, not B's 4x5 developing reel).

p.s. If you've tried the minimal agitation or seme-stand with B's 4x5 developing reel, I would like to know what the results were.
    Oh ok sorry I misunderstood about which B’s device you were using. Never mind then.