Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you recommend a water filter ?

Re: Do you recommend a water filter ?

My Hass Mixer is best with Hass filters

No regrets

https://www.hassmfg.com/search.pl/17...&submit=Search

Never a problem in 10 years

I see prices are UP
    Tin Can

Be careful with carbon filters. They can cause a fine particulate on you film. It's possible that flushing the filter really well would minimize that chances of that, but I had a number of rolls wrecked....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Be careful with carbon filters. They can cause a fine particulate on you film. It's possible that flushing the filter really well would minimize that chances of that, but I had a number of rolls wrecked....
    Carbon filters will leave some residue, and not really filter, but are used to improve taste...

Out here in LA, filters are a must... I have removed (literally) handfuls of sand/dirt when local water main construction was in progress, and other emergency work was done due to earthquakes, someone hitting a fire hydrant, old pipes etc... I use a dual filter system, and even have found debris (and algae slime) in the second filter... :0

The suggestion to use an ultra fine filter cannot be used here, as the water is heavily chlorinated and fine filters start to release chlorine from the flow as fizzy/foaming/bubbly and the water turns milky...

Can't hurt using them, but make sure to check/clean/and replace filter element on a regular basis...

Steve K

Another potential issue with particulates (or, more accurately, "gunk"), has nothing to do with filtration...and everything to do with whatever water hose you might have attached to your faucet. These hoses can, especially if left idle for a time, become "infected" with slimy, (algal?) residue, which can then blow out and create all kinds of havoc with your prints and especially negatives.

In my darkroom I have a long, thin dowel, which, on occasion (especially after my darkroom has been idle for awhile), I will use to push a piece of cloth through my two sink hoses (after having first detached them from their faucets). I will do this cleaning and flushing out process several times, reattaching the hoses and flushing them out between each. At any rate...I highly recommend doing this procedure - maybe four times per year regardless...or at least after your darkroom has been idle for awhile. (Alternately, just switch out your old hoses with new ones.)

I'm building a little Combiplan Tank Wash Unit, using the original screw-in parts. Rubber hose and "Water Outlet Purifier Kit" 3 for $30 on Amazon. Should work perfectly, I've not be filtering, but this is a good time to start. Works on any online hose filters 5 microns. Will hook it in when I get 'em. May order extras for all my washers.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Anybody read the recent water study?

All our water has Micro Plastics

Including all non ice

I am hoping Steam works
    Tin Can

Hello, I would recommend you get a filter; depending of course about where you are, but for tap water in limestone areas, you might get unnoticeable particles that will scratch your prints when you squeegee them.

As it is superficial you might not notice at first glance, but having a closer look when dry then comes the disappointment...

Yes. I’m on a well and have a “whole house” 5 micron filter. It catches an amazing amount of grit. Still, some gets through. I have two faucets in the darkroom; the one hooked up to my film and print washers has a second 5 micron filter. There is an obvious difference in water quality between the two faucets.

I used well water heavily contaminated with lime. A filter and using distilled water for mixing developer and for the final film wash worked well enough.