I would prefer to do that with FP4. But ULF sizes of that are way more expensive than Ortho Litho. And I prefer masking to flashing; but that means still more sheets of film. It would be getting prohibitively expensive at even 8x10 size if I didn't already have a stockpile of 8x10 film in the freezer. Last year I enlarged an 8X10 chrome original involving a total of 13 sheets of 8X10 film to achieve the master printing internegative. That's an exceptional quantity for me, but the end result was worth it. Dye transfer printers would routinely expend sixteen or more sheets of film per image.

Yes, carbon does need "thicker" negatives. But another application for the sheer brutality of ortho litho or Tech Pan would be making punchy internegatives for ordinary black and white silver printing from rather bland (low contrast) color negative films, via the double interpositive/internegative path. Yeah, I'd prefer to do that using TMax for both steps - but the remaining stash of Ortho Litho was getting lonely, and is a lot cheaper to replace. I souped it in HC-110. Great results, but way more fussy than TMax or FP4.