Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Paper safes

Re: Paper safes

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Sometimes, in my attempt to deal with edge-curling of unexposed photo paper...I'll take whatever batch I'm loading into my paper safe (typically ten or so sheets), and rearrange them so that they're face face and back to back - an orientation which helps to "cancel out" the forces of curling. But then again, I remain a bit concerned about any deleterious effects of having emulsion sides facing each other and getting too "friendly."

Hmmm...maybe some thin interleaving would help - which I could save and use for each batch? And perhaps go the extra mile by sliding a thin sheet of something like aluminum (as a weight) on top of the batch in the paper safe...which I'd remove for each printing session? Kind of a PITA maybe, but then again...
    Curling has never presented any problem for me. In fact, it makes it easy to identify the emulsion side in the dark. My easel handles the curl without issues, and one the paper is wet, it is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Curling has never presented any problem for me. My easel handles the curl without issues, and one the paper is wet, it is a moot point.
    In fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    In fact.
    Yes, curling isn't a problem, should not be (I don't know for the good working of paper safes), and a good easel can do wonders (and is certainly not a element to disregard)...

I use a 12x16 Paper-safe for my 11x14 paper and enjoy the room around the outside of the paper which I seem to need to lift the paper out.

My 12x16 paper-safe is a simple plastic unit with a bottom, a clamshell type lid and a mechanical lock on the lid.

As with most of my stuff, I like the simplicity of it and think it has been one of the best things that I ever bought for the darkroom.

I prefer its simplicity over the more complicated 10x8 paper-safe, with its paper delivery system, that I was gifted some years ago.

Martin

I am trying to make my own paper safe ... 34 x 44 inches any good MGuiver Ideas that I could consider?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am trying to make my own paper safe ... 34 x 44 inches any good MGuiver Ideas that I could consider?
    Some of the darkroom books had plans for a paper safe built in to a drawer. Caution: copyrighted material from The New darkroom Handbook, Focal Press 1998.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	245448

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Some of the darkroom books had plans for a paper safe built in to a drawer. Caution: copyrighted material from The New darkroom Handbook, Focal Press 1998.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	245448
    This is what I built under my enlarger table to hold paper up to 20x24 with some wiggle room to spare. Works well.

I built a drawer with a sliding top many years ago that is fit under my enlarger table and closes when the drawer is pushed in.
    If you make a smooth slot on the sides and front of the drawer it will be easy enough to pull to open. The biggest problem that I had was the back which wanted to leak light when the drawer was closed. As I remember I used some black felt and had to stiffen the top so that it wouldn’t bend up in the middle. It was for large paper but I soon started to use it all of the time and put my Brumberger safe in the closet where it remains. If you can do it or find someone to help you make it, I really recommend it.

MGuiver is a bad example. None of his tricks like making an electromagnet from a brass faucet work without a special effects department.

Under my enlarger are more brackets to hold the baseboard lower. No space for a Brumberger so I got some of those clamshell paper safes. I've seen at least 3 different brands on the same safes. They are probably made by the same vacuum molding company.

There is a light and easy to handle PVC material used to mount prints which is flame retardant, different thicknesses and should exist in black too, can be cut with a Staley knife, and glued together. We used to call it FOREX but that is the brand name...