Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations on f/4.5 lens of about 150mm

Need recommendations on f/4.5 lens of about 150mm

I am looking for an f/4.5 lens for a 4x5 camera of about 150mm. Although I appreciate the finer things in life, in this case I am looking merely for a lens that is average, rather than top of the line. Specific recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Need recommendations on f/4.5 lens of about 150mm

Given the input parameters (f/4.5) an old Tessar 15 (or 13,5) cm would be my candidate. Movements will be very limited for 4x5 though. I would not rate is average. I would say classic instead.
    In the f/5.6 rank there would be much larger selection of lenses and manufacturers to choose from. And my pick would be Fujinon 135 or 150. http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

I currently have a Graflex Crown Graphic with an Ektar 152mm f/4.5 lens, and am looking into possibly getting a Sinar Norma monorail instead. Can I use the Ektar on the Sinar Norma? If so, what is involved in mounting a lens onto a different lens board? Are tools necessary? Please keep in mind that I am a beginner.

Hi, Westpost. Others will offer more expert advice than mine, but here's what I can share.
    If you're going to a Norma, I expect that you'll find more need of coverage that with the Graflex. This depends, of course, on what kind of images you wish to make, but one of the points of using a monorail camera is the increased movements flexibility in comparison with most flatbed cameras. "Coverage" is the size of the image circle projected on the film-- the larger it is, the more you can move the film within it, or move the circle by tilting, swinging, or shifting the lens, without one or more film corners coming to the circle edge and starting to vignette. The Tessar lens design is restricted in this aspect; the image circles are smaller than other designs offer.

Regarding lens mounting, if your lens is currently mounted in the shutter with a screw-on retainer ring in the back, it is a fairly straightforward matter to remove it and mount it onto a new board, as long as the new board has a hole large enough, but not too large, to accommodate it. In my experience, the back element group of the lens is unscrewed and removed, then the retaining ring, then the shutter adn front element group can be removed from the board. Mount the shutter/lens front in the new board, screw on the retaining ring, and reassemble. Again, others will supply more details.

In your place, I think I might forego the extra half-stop advantage for more lens coverage and wider possibilities.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    In your place, I think I might forego the extra half-stop advantage for more lens coverage and wider possibilities.
    In this particular case, I am using the camera to do wet plate collodion, and since that has an ISO of approximately 1, it is necessary to use a lens with a very wide aperture. f/4.5 is the minimum aperture necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by westpost View Post
    In this particular case, I am using the camera to do wet plate collodion, and since that has an ISO of approximately 1, it is necessary to use a lens with a very wide aperture. f/4.5 is the minimum aperture necessary.
    One of my personal favorites for wet plate work is the 203mm Kodak Ektar f7.7 which works perfectly well for the purpose. I wouldn’t get too obsessed in the search for a large aperture lens when any decent lens will work as well.

Schneider-Kreuznach 150mm f/4.5 Xenar (or an f/3.5 one if you can find one...)
    Wollensak 6 3/8" (162mm) f 4.5 Velostigmat (uncoated) or Raptar (coated).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Look into Kodak Anastigmat No 31 or 32. 140mm and 160mm focal lengths, if I recall correctly. Might meet your needs. Quite affordable if you use one in barrel rather than shutter. Excellent lens for its era.

You can easily move your Ektar to another camera’s lens board and use it. Easy to do. There are plenty of information on internet to instruct you.

If you plan on using both cameras it’s a lot more convenient to have separate lenses on each respective lens board.

Reading down thread, I notice your concern is lens speed moreso that "average" optics.

A bit shorter than you like, but you might consider a Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4.5 or a Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7. I own the latter lens and it is a superb performer.
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

Makiflex TMX100 Kodak Readyload 545 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

TMAX100 4x5 Readyload 545 Back Makiflex D23. Omega DII with Omegalite laser aligned Arista RC #2 paper Multigrade dev. Digital background shot by Tim Layton and enlarged at Cosco. Studio overhead lighting. 150mm f4.5 chrome barrel Schneider Xenar. Great lens I bought for fifty bucks.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain