Thread: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I transitioned to using a SmallRig matte box equipped with a carbon fiber flag and capable of accommodating two 100x100/100x150 filters. Previously, I relied on a LEE wide hood with a 100mm filter holder, which served me well for many years until it eventually broke—the holder detached from the hood. My attempt to repair it only caused further damage. Considering the high cost of a new LEE filter holder and hood, I explored other options and settled on the matte box. It has been effective for use with my 4x5 and 6x17 cameras. One feature I sought is having the filters integrated within the hood itself. I prefer this setup to using a standalone filter holder.
    As I understand it, that Smallrig matte box can't be used with Bob's Fuji lens. His lens has a 52mm thread. The Smallrig matte box requires a lens with a filter thread that's 67mm, 72, 77, 82, 92 or, with an optional adapter, 95mm. It's possible to mount the matte box on rails instead of on the lens, but I'm unaware of a practical way to do that with a large format camera. I suppose that Bob could try using a 52mm to 67mm step-up ring and see what happens. The matte box isn't light. It apparently weighs 457g (1lb), plus the weight of the 100x100 or 100x5.65 filter or filters that are used with it. As Kiwi says, the required filters are 4mm thick.

As far as I can tell, the matte box will only take square polarisers. Can the matte box be rotated?

There are B&H customer comments that express concern about quality of construction and loading and unloading filters. This matte box doesn't have filter trays, which exposes filters to being scratched.

I recognise that you're using gels instead of glass filters, and that this might address some concerns. However, gels limit filtration, excluding for example Bob's graduated ND filters, and note that Bob says in his first post that he prefers glass.

Amusing how people react differently to tools. I started using Lee100 with my Blackmagic camera precisely to get away from the hassle and cost of using a matte box
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 16:16.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic