Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Re: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I transitioned to using a SmallRig matte box equipped with a carbon fiber flag and capable of accommodating two 100x100/100x150 filters. Previously, I relied on a LEE wide hood with a 100mm filter holder, which served me well for many years until it eventually broke—the holder detached from the hood. My attempt to repair it only caused further damage. Considering the high cost of a new LEE filter holder and hood, I explored other options and settled on the matte box. It has been effective for use with my 4x5 and 6x17 cameras. One feature I sought is having the filters integrated within the hood itself. I prefer this setup to using a standalone filter holder.
    As I understand it, that Smallrig matte box can't be used with Bob's Fuji lens. His lens has a 52mm thread. The Smallrig matte box requires a lens with a filter thread that's 67mm, 72, 77, 82, 92 or, with an optional adapter, 95mm. It's possible to mount the matte box on rails instead of on the lens, but I'm unaware of a practical way to do that with a large format camera. I suppose that Bob could try using a 52mm to 67mm step-up ring and see what happens. The matte box isn't light. It apparently weighs 457g (1lb), plus the weight of the 100x100 or 100x5.65 filter or filters that are used with it. As Kiwi says, the required filters are 4mm thick.

As far as I can tell, the matte box will only take square polarisers. Can the matte box be rotated?

There are B&H customer comments that express concern about quality of construction and loading and unloading filters. This matte box doesn't have filter trays, which exposes filters to being scratched.

I recognise that you're using gels instead of glass filters, and that this might address some concerns. However, gels limit filtration, excluding for example Bob's graduated ND filters, and note that Bob says in his first post that he prefers glass.

Amusing how people react differently to tools. I started using Lee100 with my Blackmagic camera precisely to get away from the hassle and cost of using a matte box
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 16:16.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    As I understand it, that Smallrig matte box can't be used with Bob's Fuji lens. His lens has a 52mm thread. The Smallrig matte box requires a lens with a filter thread that's 67mm, 72, 77, 82, 92 or, with an optional adapter, 95mm. It's possible to mount the matte box on rails instead of on the lens, but I'm unaware of a practical way to do that with a large format camera. I suppose that Bob could try using a 52mm to 67mm step-up ring and see what happens. The matte box isn't light. It apparently weighs 457g (1lb), plus the weight of the 100x100 or 100x5.65 filter or filters that are used with it. As Kiwi says, the required filters are 4mm thick.

As far as I can tell, the matte box will only take square polarisers. Can the matte box be rotated?

There are B&H customer comments that express concern about quality of construction and loading and unloading filters. This matte box doesn't have filter trays, which exposes filters to being scratched.

I recognise that you're using gels instead of glass filters, and that this might address some concerns. However, gels limit filtration, excluding for example Bob's graduated ND filters, and note that Bob says in his first post that he prefers glass.

Amusing how people react differently to tools. I started using Lee100 with my Blackmagic camera precisely to get away from the hassle and cost of using a matte box
    I will try and answer your questions:

I use the SmallRig matte box with my Nikkor W-150 lens, which has a 52mm thread. Step-up rings are frequently used for the adaptation of filters and holder systems. In the past, I had compendium shades with rails (Arca Swiss and a custom-made Ebony). However, the issue with the ones I had was the absence of a filter holder. With this particular matte box, there is no requirement for rails. The matte box I use is also relatively lightweight. I'm uncertain where you obtained your weight figure, but my matte box weighs a mere 10.4 ounces.

The matte box rotates very easily, and when using a polarizer, I place it on the lens (I use circular polarizers), and then the matte box rings. See the photo with the knobs titled. I keep a level on my boxes (I have two of these) because I want to make sure when I do rotate them, they are level.

Below are photos of a LEE Big Stopper, a thick glass filter with a rubberized material on the reverse, and a slimmer LEE gel filter in a plastic frame. The matte box has two rails to slide filters in from the reverse left side. There is a screw on the top of the box for each filter rail to tighten or loosen if you want to. I use thick and thin filters with no issues. I do not see a difference whether I slide the filters from the top as I have done previously with my old Sinar metal filter holder or my LEE plastic holder from the past. My fingers have to touch them somewhere. What matters is how well you care for your gear.

Regarding reviews, I'd like to give you honest feedback on the LEE wide hood that I had to discard because of its subpar materials (not worth the cost, in my opinion). The worst camera I ever shot was a 5x7 Wisner Technical Field (apologies to all the Wisner users). But we can find happy customers for both these products. It's essential to remember that you may come across positive and negative reviews for a lot of gear.

Is this matte box constructed with steel and designed to withstand abuse? No, because it would become excessively heavy to carry around. Instead, it's crafted from a combination of materials, including carbon fiber, plastic, and metal. Personally, I've found it to be effective to the extent that I purchased a second one for my 4x5 camera after initially acquiring it for my 6x17 setup.

After considering the cost of reinvesting in the LEE filter holder, hood, and potentially new rings, I concluded it wasn't worth purchasing everything again. With 40 years of photography experience (including 35 years in commercial photography), I've grown weary of repeatedly repurchasing filters and holders. This $99 matte box, complete with its rings, filter holder, shade, and flag, represents a wise investment to me.

I'm not trying to sell anything; I simply want to share my experiences to assist fellow photographers in making informed decisions.

Ooh. I can see an opportunity to get carried away with this and go way down the matte box rabbit hole. I’ll mount my $ 4x5 on a $$$ Zacuto rail baseplate and attach a $$ matte box!! Might as well mount a Go Pro to the ground glass, run that signal to a small monitor that can also mount to the rails, and use focus peaking. Filter problem solved for about $3000

Ok. I know what I have to do. Figure out biggest lens then select suitably sized filter and holder. I don’t want to end up with a filtration system more expensive than the camera and lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Ooh. I can see an opportunity to get carried away with this and go way down the matte box rabbit hole. I’ll mount my $ 4x5 on a $$$ Zacuto rail baseplate and attach a $$ matte box!! Might as well mount a Go Pro to the ground glass, run that signal to a small monitor that can also mount to the rails, and use focus peaking. Filter problem solved for about $3000

Ok. I know what I have to do. Figure out biggest lens then select suitably sized filter and holder. I don’t want to end up with a filtration system more expensive than the camera and lenses.
    The matte box is $99 with its rings. Where is the matte box rabbit hole?
    I just priced the LEE filter hood @ $343.50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_in_clam.html

LEE adapter ring 52mm @ $74.50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Ring_52mm.html

And I would need three more rings!
    No thank you.

I wish you the best!

The matte box I use is also relatively lightweight. I'm uncertain where you obtained your weight figure, but my matte box weighs a mere 10.4 ounces.
    I got the weight from Smallrig's website and B&H's specifications. The manufacturer and the retailer say that the matte box itself weighs 238g (8.4oz). Lee's holder weighs 54g (1.9 oz). B&H says that the total weight of the matte box, with the top flag, is 457g (16oz). I have not ascertained how much Lee's hood weighs.

Step-up rings are frequently used for the adaptation of filters and holder systems
    Smallrig specifies that the matte box is compatible (its word) with the filter thread sizes that I listed. It does not say that it is compatible with other size threads via step-up ring. The question is, why doesn't it say that, especially since it's in its financial interest to do so? It is an obvious red flag.

The matte box rotates very easily, and when using a polarizer, I place it on the lens (I use circular polarizers), and then the matte box rings. See the photo with the knobs titled. I keep a level on my boxes (I have two of these) because I want to make sure when I do rotate them, they are level.
    In other words, you're using your polariser as a step-up ring to a matte box. Asked whether this matte box can be used with a screw-in polariser, a B&H employee says in the product's Q&A section to mount the matte box on rods if you want to do that.

Below are photos of a LEE Big Stopper, a thick glass filter with a rubberized material on the reverse, and a slimmer LEE gel filter in a plastic frame. The matte box has two rails to slide filters in from the reverse left side. There is a screw on the top of the box for each filter rail to tighten or loosen if you want to. I use thick and thin filters with no issues. I do not see a difference whether I slide the filters from the top as I have done previously with my old Sinar metal filter holder or my LEE plastic holder from the past. My fingers have to touch them somewhere. What matters is how well you care for your gear.
    Great that you're happy with side loading of filters, no filter trays and using 2mm thick filters in a space designed for 4mm. Most people who shoot video would not be. The reason is that filters are expensive and what you're doing is an invitation to damage. This is not just a matter of opinion. Indeed, in the video world it's regarded as a matter of common sense.

Regarding reviews, I'd like to give you honest feedback on the LEE wide hood that I had to discard because of its subpar materials (not worth the cost, in my opinion).
    That isn't what you said in your earlier post:

"Previously, I relied on a LEE wide hood with a 100mm filter holder, which served me well for many years until it eventually broke—the holder detached from the hood."

Also, you're talking about the hood that Lee replaced in 2019 with a completely new design. The current hood is not even attached to the holder.

The worst camera I ever shot was a 5x7 Wisner Technical Field (apologies to all the Wisner users). But we can find happy customers for both these products. It's essential to remember that you may come across positive and negative reviews for a lot of gear.

Is this matte box constructed with steel and designed to withstand abuse? No, because it would become excessively heavy to carry around. Instead, it's crafted from a combination of materials, including carbon fiber, plastic, and metal. Personally, I've found it to be effective to the extent that I purchased a second one for my 4x5 camera after initially acquiring it for my 6x17 setup.
    In fact, matte boxes are normally constructed of metal and in the expectation that they won't be handled with kid gloves. In the video community, people purchase Smallrig components when they want something cheap. Sometimes cheap is fine, sometimes it's not so fine. Buyers of the Smallrig matte box are generally beginners who are under no illusions about what they're getting. They're getting a cheap matte box, possibly the cheapest on the market, at a cheap price. They expect to replace it sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 22:32.

I got the weight from Smallrig's website and B&H's specifications. The manufacturer and the retailer say that the matte box itself weighs 238g (8.4oz). Lee's holder weighs 54g (1.9 oz). B&H says that the total weight of the matte box, with the top flag, is 457g (16oz). I have not ascertain how much Lee's hood weighs.

Smallrig specifies that the matte box is compatible (its word) with the filter thread sizes that I listed. A B&H employee, in a Q&A, says that it is not compatible with other sizes. Neither Smallrig nor B&H say that it is compatible with other size threads via step-up ring. The question is, why don't they say that, especially since it's in their financial interest to do so? It is an obvious red flag.

In other words, you're using your polariser as a step-up ring. Asked whether this matte box can be used with a polariser that's circular, a B&H employee says to mount the matte box on rods.

Great that you're happy with side loading of filters, no filter trays and using 2mm thick filters in a space designed for 4mm. Most people who shoot video would not be. The reason is that filters are expensive and what you're doing can result in damage.

That isn't what you said in your earlier post:

Also, you're talking about the hood that Lee replaced in 2019 with a completely new design. The current hood is not even attached to the holder.

In fact, matte boxes are normally constructed of metal and in the expectation that they won't be handled with kid gloves. In the video community, people purchase Smallrig components when they want something cheap. Buyers of the Smallrig matte box are generally beginners who are under no illusions about what they're getting. They're getting a cheap matte box, possibly the cheapest on the market, at a cheap price. They expect to replace it sooner rather than later.
    The weight includes the flag.

I use the matte box exclusively for film cameras mounted on tripods, not for video. If it was made of metal I would have passed on it for being too heavy. My filters are well-protected and there’s no risk of damage to them. I always ensure my gear is safe.

The issue with the LEE hood was its material quality. It broke off from the filter holder and was irreparable because the material of the hood disintegrated. I did not want to buy into the LEE holder and hood again.

I don’t handle my equipment delicately like “kid gloves,” but rather with the care and respect of a photographer who values and understands the gear.

This is an option some photographers may find attractive especially if their budget is not enough for a LEE system. Not everyone can afford $450+ for a lens hood + filter holder.

The matte box is $99 with its rings. Where is the matte box rabbit hole?
    I just priced the LEE filter hood @ $343.50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_in_clam.html

LEE adapter ring 52mm @ $74.50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Ring_52mm.html

And I would need three more rings!
    No thank you.

I wish you the best!
    Why do you neglect to mention that the Lee filter holder is $115, is much lighter than the matte box part of Smallrig's product, and that the hood is an option that many would forgo, using a hand or a hat instead?

Why did you quote $74.50 for an adapter ring when that price is for a wide angle ring that Bob doesn't need. The 52mm ring that he would need is $40. If Filter Dude is still selling them, the price is $25 including shipping. B&H is currently selling a Sensei 52mm adapter ring that I suspect would work for a discounted price of $8.

Why do you neglect to mention that the Lee filter holder is $115, is much lighter than the matte box part of Smallrig's product, and that the hood is an option that many would forgo, using a hand or a hat instead?

Why did you quote $74.50 for an adapter ring when that price is for a wide angle ring that Bob doesn't need. The 52mm ring that he would need is $40. If Filter Dude is still selling them, the price is $25 including shipping. B&H is currently selling a Sensei 52mm adapter ring that I suspect would work for a discounted price of $8.
    I quoted with the hood because I thought he needed a hood.

B&H says otherwise.
    My scale, which I frequently use for cooking and rely on for its accuracy, tells a different story. As for B&H, my understanding is that they depend on their suppliers and staff for information. I’m simply a user of the equipment and not involved in selling anything here.

On the B&H site someone asked if the Sensei adapters are compatible with the LEE system and the response was”no”. See here for example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119082-REG