Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Goal: standardize around one filter holder and system. I prefer square drop-in filters. They take up less space. Prefer glass.

What I have: a hodgepodge of adapter rings, a Cokin drop in holder that can accommodate 84 x 120 mm filters; a set of Galen Rowell ND grads sized 84x120. All of this was stuff from my 35mm kit.

Current Lens: Fuji 150 f5.6 with 52mm threads. I have a 52mm ring to connect to the Cokin holder.

Shooting 4x5

I'm good-to-go with the ND grads I have but want to add yellow, red, etc for B&W work. I'm concerned about the filter holder, that as my lens kits grows over time that it won't be sized properly to cover larger LF lenses. I don't want to invest in colored 84x120 filters and then find out that I should've sized larger for bigger-sized lenses.

Is there a "standard" filter holder size (and drop in filter) for 4x5 that I should be looking at?

Re: Filter Systems: trying to standardize

You might find this thread useful. It's about Lee's 2019 revision to its filter system: Lee Filters Lee100 System

I'd suggest that you also have a look at competing products by Formatt Hitech and NiSi.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

There is no 4x5 standard. It's "every man for himself". Much depends on the lenses that you plan on using. I would think that your current set-up would be adaptable for any lens with a 77mm filter thread -- and there are only a few lenses that have threads wider than that. A lot also depends on how far out in front of the lens your current set-up sticks out. My Cokin adapter sticks way out -- which is very limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    You might find this thread useful. It's about Lee's 2019 revision to its filter system: Lee Filters Lee100 System

I'd suggest that you also have a look at competing products by Formatt Hitech and NiSi.
    Thanks. I know Benro also makes filter system components. I'm less concerned by brand that selecting correct size so I don't get locked into something that becomes limiting if/when I add lenses.

I read the thread about Lee. Looks like that is standardized around 100x150mm filters yet I don't see ANY Lee filters that size for B&W at the NYC big box store I shop at. There are Tiffen filters in 4x6 that are extraordinarily expensive ($320 for a red filter) and special order only.

Drew Wiley

Try filterfind.net. He has a lot of that kind of thing in stock, especially hard to find items.

Edited the wrong post
    Last edited by r.e.; 27-Dec-2023 at 17:39.

Filter Systems: trying to standardize

Also to state the perhaps obvious…. the adapter/holder system is proprietary (whether Lee, Benro, etc) but 100x100 and 100x150mm glass is usable across all 100mm systems (as long as it’s 2mm thick which is 99% of them), so you can look into cheaper brands, like Haida. Most brands sell different “levels” of glass. Sometimes the practical differences are not obvious. You want coating to avoid fingerprints but if you shoot B&W then color shifts are not important so you don’t need top tier glass.

Btw these guys are running a 30% sake for a while… https://formatt-hitechusa.com/collec...graphy-filters

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Also to state the perhaps obvious…. the adapter/holder system is proprietary (whether Lee, Benro, etc) but 100x100 and 100x150mm glass is usable across all 100mm systems (as long as it’s 2mm thick which is 99% of them), so you can look into cheaper brands, like Haida. Most brands sell different “levels” of glass. Sometimes the practical differences are not obvious. You want coating to avoid fingerprints but if you shoot B&W then color shifts are not important so you don’t need top tier glass.
    It's worth checking how thick the glass is early on. Formatt Hitech has an interesting system, but its filters, like those headed for matte boxes, are 4mm thick.

As you say, there are also differences in glass quality. Panavision and Lee developed and make Lee's ProGlass IRND filters. These are 100mm², 2mm thick versions of the Panavision filters used to make major motion pictures. Lee sells both the ProGlass IRND line and a less expensive ND line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    I read the thread about Lee. Looks like that is standardized around 100x150mm filters yet I don't see ANY Lee filters that size for B&W at the NYC big box store I shop at. There are Tiffen filters in 4x6 that are extraordinarily expensive ($320 for a red filter) and special order only.

Lee100 filters are 100x100 except for graduated ND filters and some specialty filters. There's a Lee150 system which I don't expect you'll need. You could also look at Lee85 and Lee Seven5, which would be less expensive if one of them works. I think that B&H/Adorama carry the full line. The Tiffen 4x5.65 filters are for cinematography matte boxes. Note that Lee also sells direct online. You could also try https://www.2filter.com in New Hampshire.

For me, one of the attractions of the Lee system is the new lens hood. I haven't seen something like this from competitors. The thread linked in post #2 above has some photos of the hood.

Last edited by r.e.; 28-Dec-2023 at 13:29.