Thread: Service/Repair Sekonic Dual Spot Meter F / L-778

Service/Repair Sekonic Dual Spot Meter F / L-778

It appears that the Sekonic L-778 meter that I use for large format photography is terminally ill. Whatever the photographic subject, the meter gives the same reading, within a narrow range. There are other problem signs as well. While awaiting a reply from Sekonic USA about repairing the meter, I've been looking for reputable service shop for this meter. No promising leads so far. Are there any I may have missed that forum members are aware of? Or any relevant experiences about repairing a Sekonic L-778?

I've had the meter only 2.5 years, bought off ebay for a pretty penny, so it's a disappointment that I will probably have to replace it. And looking at the available L-778s, I'm not too sure that I want to jump into that scene again. Partly because they're an out-of-production meter, partly because of what seem to be no-or-limited service options, and partly because of the uncertainty of meter condition and quality in the used equipment market. I have a Minolta Spot M that seems to be going fine, but I pack that with my medium format gear - I've forgotten to switch the meter between my medium format pack and my large format pack often enough that I want a meter in each pack. The Minolta Spot Meter F or M will be my replacement choice if nothing better crops up.

I've seen the Reveni spot meter videos, and maybe that's an option, but I favor the Minolta/Sekonic/Pentax spot meter style. The Pentax seems to be most sought after, and consequently enjoys a premium price. Not being familiar with Sekonic (or other) models of the recent past, I wonder if there are any meters that are known to be dependable and durable? I must have a spot meter, but a combination meter would be okay. I very rarely use incident metering, so that's not a bonus. I almost never use any meter functions aside from the ISO setting, and EV-Fstop-Speed readouts and adjustments, so bells-and-whistles are irrelevant. Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: Service/Repair Sekonic Dual Spot Meter F / L-778

My takeaway

Don't buy any USED Light Mette

My L 758 never dropped is fine at age sweet 16

and I run it rechargers

The manual say's NEVER

Spill check is getting worse
    Tin Can

Re: Service/Repair Sekonic Dual Spot Meter F / L-778

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    My takeaway

Don't buy any USED Light Mette ...
    That is sensible advice. But after looking at prices on new spot mettes, sensibility takes a back seat.