Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland Over Memorial Day Weekend...

Smile Re: Portland Over Memorial Day Weekend...

Hi Scott,

Next time then! The "Group of VI" will show you a fun time here.

Hope you enjoy this part of the world!

Cheers
    Last edited by Capocheny; 21-May-2006 at 20:47.
    Life in the fast lane!

Re: Portland Over Memorial Day Weekend...

i'll certianly take you up on your offer! i love the pnw... it's the better half i'm going to have to sell.

I don't think of Portland as being about view dining--too many nice views everywhere else. For a great meal in town built around local seasonal foods, I highly recommend Higgins. ARTICLE.

For something in the country, consider the Joel Palmer House in Dayton, about an hour southwest of town in the wine country. It's housed in a lovely old 1850s mansion. The chef is a national expert on wild mushrooms, forages for them himself and constructs his menus around them. REVIEW.

Another coastal hike with stunning views PHOTO is Cascade Head, a Nature Conservancy property a bit south of the other coastal areas mentioned. HIKE DETAILS. In a single full day you could do a counterclockwise loop, driving to Cannon Beach, south on the coast highway to Cascade Head, then back inland toward Portland, stopping for dinner at the Joel Palmer House.

If after the visit your wife is still on the fence, let her know that she will never see a cockroach, flying cockroach, cicada, cicada killer or fire ant in Portland

Have a great trip!
    Last edited by Matthew Runkel; 22-May-2006 at 01:31.

Scott,

I just made the exact same move - Dallas to Portland - about three months ago. Abosultely no regrets....A couple of tips for convincing the wife:

1) Avoid downtown for the most part, with the exception of Powell's books and the "Pearl District" Downtown is a bit of a freakshow with homeless people and, for lack of a better term, slackers. If your wife is like mine, the downtown scene would be a turnoff. It's still a much more vibrant downtown than Dallas, but it takes time get used to.

2) All of the above posts are correct - Cannon Beach is great, try the trail to Indian Beach in Ecola State Park for a good primer.

3) Second to Eagle Creek in the gorge - wonderfull hike, but not for those afraid of heights. That's a trail for mountain goats.

4) Two days ago I hiked up to the top of Saddle Mountain - highest peak in the Northern Coast range. Amazing views of the Pacifc, as well as the cascades and valley. It's a cardio-workout, especially to one used to the flatlands of Dallas.

5) Again, also second spending time in Washington Park and the Zoo. The Zoo is not quite as big or nice as the Fort Worth Zoo, but comes close.

6) If your wife likes touring old mansions - here is a great way to spend the day. Go to the Audubon Society Sanctuary on Cornell Road. Nice short trails in the middle of town. Then ask the staff how to catch the Wildwood Trail to the Pittcock Mansion. About a mile or two (uphill) through Forest Park to an 1800's mansion with one of the best views of Portland. (You can drive to the mansion - but why?) You can tour the mansion, or just walk to the backyard and admire the view.

7) Don't know if you're going to be eyeballing real estate - but it's expensive compared to Dallas. I can give you our experiences House Hunting if it comes to that.

8) Portland is not a restaurant scene compared to Dallas. It's like pulling teeth here to find a simple burger and fries combo that is not McDonald's. In Dallas, eating out is part of the social scene - in Portland it seems that everyone would rather go hiking or biking. I can't really argue with that logic...

Let me know if you have other specific questions.

- Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    8) Portland is not a restaurant scene compared to Dallas. It's like pulling teeth here to find a simple burger and fries combo that is not McDonald's. In Dallas, eating out is part of the social scene - in Portland it seems that everyone would rather go hiking or biking. I can't really argue with that logic...
    - Jack
    What's wrong with Burgerville then?

I think it is really that many people here would rather have something a bit more exotic than a simple burger and fries - like Thai or Indian or even Italian food.

But if you do want a good burger in town - try the Skyline Restaurant, 1313 NW Skyline 292-6727 It's in the general region of the Pittock Mansion mentioned by Jack.

Scott, if you do the Gorge - Mt. Hood loop, there's a place called Calamity Jane's just before you get to the town of Sandy. Look for the 20 foot high cowgirl on the side of the road - it's got an old western schtick that I find amusing and the burgers are good! I always stop there after a day out skiing. And they have a wide range of excellent burgers, and even some that you will probably not find anywhere else - like the George Washington Burger with pie cherries or the Jimmy Carter burger with peanut butter.

If I was going to Dallas - I would get a steak. (Actually, I tried that the one time I was in Dallas and the in-laws decided that we had to go to PLanet Holywood!!! WTF!!!)

Anyway - in Portland, you should try some seafood/fish. If you are going to be in town, get a reservation at the Chart House. Overlooks the river and has good food. (I know, it's a national chain.) For something downtown and local, try McCormick & Schmick's, 235 SW lst Ave. 503-224-7522. They've been around for over 100 years. It's fairly formal and will need a reservation. Or their spin-off, Jake's Famous Crawfish, 401 SW 12th Ave., 503-226-1419. Less formal, but also an old-time Portland establishment.

If you want the beach, go to Cannon Beach for the day/evening, go to Ecola State Park on the north side of town, then from Cannon Beach, walk down the beach past Haystack Rock, and then dinner at the Wayfarer Inn or the Driftwood Inn for formal, or Mo's (in Tolovana, just south of Cannon Beach) for informal (very informal).

Kirk
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 22-May-2006 at 13:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann
    Actually, Proxy Falls is closer to a 3 1/2 hour drive from Portland. There are some other nice falls (Sahalie, Koosah, etc.) along Hwy. 126 on the way, but unless you want to spend most of the day driving there and back, I wouldn't recommend it as a day trip from Portland. By comparison, Multnomah Falls is only 1/2 hour drive from Portland and you can be at the Eagle Creek trailhead in less than 45 minutes.

Central Oregon is great. We usually spend two or three long weekends there every summer. The outdoor recreation opportunities are second to none, and the scenery is spectacular. I prefer the mountains and my wife loves the high desert. With Central Oregon, we get both.

But, for a first time visitor, there's plenty to see, do and photograph closer to Portland. We really are spolied out here in Oregon. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. They'll ALL want to move here (many of them already have).

Kerry
    Heh....I remember when U.S. 26 was solely for "going to the coast," Bill Walton was the centerpiece of the Blazers, and Trojan was running around the clock.

It has gotten crowded, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    What's wrong with Burgerville then?

I think it is really that many people here would rather have something a bit more exotic than a simple burger and fries - like Thai or Indian or even Italian food.

But if you do want a good burger in town - try the Skyline Restaurant, 1313 NW Skyline 292-6727 It's in the general region of the Pittock Mansion mentioned by Jack.

Scott, if you do the Gorge - Mt. Hood loop, there's a place called Calamity Jane's just before you get to the town of Sandy. Look for the 20 foot high cowgirl on the side of the road - it's got an old western schtick that I find amusing and the burgers are good! I always stop there after a day out skiing. And they have a wide range of excellent burgers, and even some that you will probably not find anywhere else - like the George Washington Burger with pie cherries or the Jimmy Carter burger with peanut butter.

If I was going to Dallas - I would get a steak. (Actually, I tried that the one time I was in Dallas and the in-laws decided that we had to go to PLanet Holywood!!! WTF!!!)

Anyway - in Portland, you should try some seafood/fish. If you are going to be in town, get a reservation at the Chart House. Overlooks the river and has good food. (I know, it's a national chain.) For something downtown and local, try McCormick & Schmick's, 235 SW lst Ave. 503-224-7522. They've been around for over 100 years. It's fairly formal and will need a reservation. Or their spin-off, Jake's Famous Crawfish, 401 SW 12th Ave., 503-226-1419. Less formal, but also an old-time Portland establishment.

If you want the beach, go to Cannon Beach for the day/evening, go to Ecola State Park on the north side of town, then from Cannon Beach, walk down the beach past Haystack Rock, and then dinner at the Wayfarer Inn or the Driftwood Inn for formal, or Mo's (in Tolovana, just south of Cannon Beach) for informal (very informal).

Kirk

Some good suggestions here. If you are still trying to sell your wife, you might consider the Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of the US Bank Tower (111 S.W. 5th) for dinner, or for an after-dinner drink. Kirk mentioned McCormick and Schmick's on 1st, but there's also the Harborside one down on the water. (South end of Waterfront Park).

hey fellas, a quick 'thanks' for all the suggestions. even though it rained EVERY day we were there, the wife and i had a GREAT time in portland, and hit many of the hotspots suggested here... lunch at mccormick & schmidt, dinner at the joel palmer house, dinner at timberline, a hike in the eagle creek area, a drive through the gorge, not to mention an entire day spent in the wine country for the holiday weekend open tastings. suffice to say, it was a fantastic trip made in no small way possible by your suggestions - THANKS!

scott

Would like to second the City Grille, i just recently had one of my best dinners ever there.

Also a little about caution. On Memorial day (Yesterday) My Hasselblad gear was stolen from my car when i was out taking pictures in the Multnomah Falls area.
    Please don't leave valuables in the car if away from the beaten path. According to local Law enforcement it is a high risk area.

jan

The burning question is this: Are you going to sell your wife as part of the move? Or is she coming with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg
    hey fellas, a quick 'thanks' for all the suggestions. even though it rained EVERY day we were there, the wife and i had a GREAT time in portland, and hit many of the hotspots suggested here... lunch at mccormick & schmidt, dinner at the joel palmer house, dinner at timberline, a hike in the eagle creek area, a drive through the gorge, not to mention an entire day spent in the wine country for the holiday weekend open tastings. suffice to say, it was a fantastic trip made in no small way possible by your suggestions - THANKS!

scott