Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Drew Wiley

Re: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

It's basically the Japanese cousin to the classic Sinar Norma model, which easily fits, fully set up with an 24 inch rail, in the top compartment of my vintage (US made) Kelty Tioga external frame backpack. Over the decades, I've backpacked at least 15,000 miles using the Sinar system. Now in my mid-70's, I use that only for day hikes. For long treks I substitute a lightweight Ebony 4X5 folder instead.

If you like the perspective of long lenses, like I do, monorails are wonderful. But they can rapidly be converted to short lens usage too. They're much more versatile than folders, and faster to set up. It's myth that monorail cameras are only suitable for studio use.

I used to hike with calumet metal 4x5 in a rectangular canvas duffle bag. I added A shaped inserts that let the camera hang upside down on its rails. Plenty of room for lenses, holders, and accessories in ICUs. Mine had a heavy duty shoulder strap but it was still a beast to carry when you consider I also had the polaroid processor and a metal tripod too. I still use that duffle bag as my weekend getaway luggage.

Similar to this one
    LLBEAN duffle
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Quite often I was not going that far.
    That says it all. I use a folder -- "no torture involved" on my week-long treks.

While the Toyo 45G is larger than the D45M, it is not impossible to carry it in a backpack. Here is a comparison photo of the Toyo D45M and a Wista 45D:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1323746

Kumar

Drew Wiley

xkaes - I desperately miss that "torture". Wish I was still younger. But torture is more likely the result of an inappropriate pack than what's inside it. The Sinar system was bulky and took up quite a bit of pack space, so I trained myself to live on only one main meal a day, and then forage and fish for the rest. One time, maybe around 11,000, while excitedly aiming my Sinar at something interesting, I was suddenly dizzy, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. So I sat down on a nearby rock, and realized that I hadn't eaten a thing for the past 24 hrs, despite lugging over 80 lbs the past week. I was so taken in by the views themselves, that I was totally distracted from even giving myself a snack. A granola bar cured it.

We all have a masochistic streak, but mine ends at the end of my TOKO bellows -- leaving lots of room for granola.

Fallingwater 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This was not an easy hike. When I got to here I was mighty glad I had the 4x5 Norma with me. The front and rear standards can "touch together" with the Norma. Can't do that with a folder

Probably the most famous (world over) architectural site, Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater". My second time visiting, this time 4x5 B&W only. A venerated spot. I did not see any tripod holes It is even a postage stamp
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 27-Dec-2023 at 13:41.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

When I got back into LF a few years ago, I bought a 45G from Japan because it fit my budget and the weight wasn't a huge concern - I really only do wet plate now and you can't get more than ~10 minutes or so trot away from the vehicle/darkroom anyways.

It is definitely awkward to carry. I used one of those insulated bags for groceries to transport it in the car, which was very cheap and provided some limited protection. In the field I'd just pop it off the tripod and carry it upside down by the rail in one hand, tripod across my shoulder and supported by the other hand, with a backpack containing lenses, darkcloth, and other accessories. If I needed to scramble up some rocks or something I'd put them both down on the ledge above, climb up/down, then pick them up again and keep going.

I've also used a pram for getting the gear + darktent further into the field, but you need a decent quality trail for that which is not always available. Uphill can be a bit of a trial too.

Having owned both, IMO the Rittreck View is a better "budget" compromise for field work than a Toyo 45G in most cases. It is significantly heavier than a 4x5 wooden field camera, but a lot cheaper, and compared to the 45G, lighter and more compact, plus can do 5x7 (and other formats) if you buy the corresponding back. They are very well-built, I've beat the absolute hell out of mine and it still mostly works.

Drew Wiley

How well does that work if you need to scramble up or down several thousand feet of rocks or ice? ... Maybe someone will figure out how to make monorail sections function as skis, and riser rods as trekking poles. But there are problems with double-duty schemes. A buddy of mine had one of those ultralight tents where you use you trekking poles as tent poles. But then he didn't have those poles available for crossing a creek in the evening, where he slipped and damaged some very expensive camera gear, plus his ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    How well does that work if you need to scramble up or down several thousand feet of rocks or ice? ...

Well I really don't anticipate ever doing what you do

Norma & I HAVE been in some what I would call potentially dangerous situations.

She has come through maybe with a scratch or too. Never busted.

She's cheap and relatively available.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain