Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Mobility with a Toyo 45G

Hello all, need some help. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I just shelved my Crown Graphic for a Toyo View 45G. It is beautiful and looks to be in great shape, it arrived yesterday from Japan (thank you Mr. Kumar), so I have yet to shoot it. Yes, I'm aware I purchased a studio camera for field work, but it was an affordable way to get a camera with all the movements and capabilities.

A trunk/case would help getting around but not ideal for hiking into the woods. ANY help is appreciated, and I mean any. I guess I'm looking for a backpack but could also use some advice on how to collapse and pack this beast without doing any damage.
    Thank you.

Michael

Re: Mobility with a Toyo 45G

I've backpacked my Toyo 45G but only by taking it apart:

Unclip the bellows front and back and stow them in a protective case or bag.
    Unlatch the rail clamp and stow it.
    Slide front and back standards off the rail then wrap and pack them them separately and securely in the backpack. Rail goes anywhere convenient.

On arrival at the photography site re-assemble the camera and go shoot. I then carry the camera mounted on its tripod across my shoulder that is padded with the focussing cloth.

At the end of the day dis-assemble the camera and put it in the backpack. It's all do-able but darn inconvenient compared to my Tachihara folding field camera.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

When I was using my 45G, I modified a stroller for babies. I remove the seat and replaced it by a piece of plywood.

I used those stroller with big inflatable wheels so I could walk in trails with my camera.

But I decided to buy a lighter (and smaller) camera: A Meridian 45B. Since I can back pack it and I have now access to places where the 45G couldn't go.

Have a nice day!

These two responses say it all -- and so did you: "I may have bitten off more than I can chew."

A lesson I learned a long time before I started backpacking with a Toko 4x5 field camera -- It's never too late to turn back.

50 years or so ago I backpacked with a Linhof Kardan Bi 5 x 7. I had a short rail fabricated that was just long enough to hold the two standards separated just far enough to allow the camera to be mounted in the rail clamp that I carried attached to the tripod. Setup consisted of putting the tripod in place, mounting the short rail with standards, and attaching the full rail. Quick and easy.

I backpacked my Calumet CC400 monorail camera, virtually the same as Maris described. Eventually, and after about two years of use, I managed to pick up my Shen Hao HZX45-IIA wooden folder, which has quite a lot of movements for a wooden folder.

I now have and use a Toyo 45G and agree that you have an excellent camera with pretty much all movements and then some. Probably more than you will mostly ever need, but obviously very nice to have.

Only once have I carried my Toyo 45G in a backpack, I configured the camera as close together as possible using a very small rail I picked up in a photographic flea market, carried it in a backpack with all the other stuff, added the standard rail to the chopped rail and I was in business.

One thing I did do, was to pick up a Toyo to Linhof lens board adaptor, as shown here with my 90mm lens attached. This way I don't need to swop lenses from one sized board to another. If you intend in the future to possibly have a folding camera, then this may be helpful for that camera, with the benefit of no added cost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170124_170413.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	244944

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I've backpacked my Toyo 45G but only by taking it apart:

Unclip the bellows front and back and stow them in a protective case or bag.
    Unlatch the rail clamp and stow it.
    Slide front and back standards off the rail then wrap and pack them them separately and securely in the backpack. Rail goes anywhere convenient.

On arrival at the photography site re-assemble the camera and go shoot. I then carry the camera mounted on its tripod across my shoulder that is padded with the focussing cloth.

At the end of the day dis-assemble the camera and put it in the backpack. It's all do-able but darn inconvenient compared to my Tachihara folding field camera.
    Thank you for the detailed help. I am going to need to learn how to tear this down and build it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post
    When I was using my 45G, I modified a stroller for babies. I remove the seat and replaced it by a piece of plywood.

I used those stroller with big inflatable wheels so I could walk in trails with my camera.

But I decided to buy a lighter (and smaller) camera: A Meridian 45B. Since I can back pack it and I have now access to places where the 45G couldn't go.

Have a nice day!
    Wow. I've seen a vid where the gentleman was using one of those children's wagons that had the fabric sides. Baby stroller is an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    These two responses say it all -- and so did you: "I may have bitten off more than I can chew."

A lesson I learned a long time before I started backpacking with a Toko 4x5 field camera -- It's never too late to turn back.
    Well, I still have my Crown Graphic. There is a very nice wooden folding 4x5 in my future, it's just very far in the future. Thanx.

I prefer my DIY Rickshaw

Camera Cart 3 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can