Thread: Hello from Japan

Hello from Japan

Hello everyone, I'm Ezo from Hokkaido, Japan. I've been shooting wildlife on digital for years now, but got back into film a couple years back. After getting comfortable with shooting and developing 35mm and medium format I decided it was time I take the plunge and give 4x5 a try in 2024. I shoot film on a budget since it's a hobby so I'll be spending 2024 searching for the right camera for me. I think I want a speed graphic, but who knows! Anyways, I look forward to learning and sharing with everyone.

Re: Hello from Japan

Welcome, Ezo!

Welcome! There are threads aplenty here on camera choices. It's best, of course, to start simply and from a starting point of what kind of images are most important to you, i.e., what equipment would be most suitable. Many here can share knowledge of which models have exactly which features, which lens has what coverage, etc. Shooting wildlife on 4x5 will be quite a challenge, I imagine.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

ようこそへLFF!

If you want to do portraits, a Speed Graphic is a good choice. The focal plane shutter is very handy for using cheap barrel lenses.

If you are more interested in landscapes, I recommend a field camera. There are many good, affordable Japanese field cameras, such as Tachihara, Ikeda, or Nagoaka. If you don't mind the weight, Rittreck Field's are very affordable. Most come with a 4x5 back, but there are many different backs available (5x7, half plate, whole plate, 8x10, etc).

For cheap film, I've been happy with the results I get from Shanghai GP3. The Stearman Press is a good, easy to use daylight developing tank that can do 4 sheets of film at a time.

Hokkaido is such a beautiful place! I did a motorcycle trip there with a mate about 9 years in the summer. I hope to go back someday.

Buy a camera with new bellows

SIMPLE EVERYTHING is best

So many variables

Make it simple
    Tin Can

Welcome!

Welcome. I'm fond of the Crown Graphic as very light weight. Lots of beautiful cameras available in Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    ようこそへLFF!

If you want to do portraits, a Speed Graphic is a good choice. The focal plane shutter is very handy for using cheap barrel lenses.

If you are more interested in landscapes, I recommend a field camera. There are many good, affordable Japanese field cameras, such as Tachihara, Ikeda, or Nagoaka. If you don't mind the weight, Rittreck Field's are very affordable. Most come with a 4x5 back, but there are many different backs available (5x7, half plate, whole plate, 8x10, etc).

For cheap film, I've been happy with the results I get from Shanghai GP3. The Stearman Press is a good, easy to use daylight developing tank that can do 4 sheets of film at a time.

Hokkaido is such a beautiful place! I did a motorcycle trip there with a mate about 9 years in the summer. I hope to go back someday.
    Thanks for the advice!

I keep going back and forth on press versus field style! I might end up buying whichever I find first at a price I like. They would both suit me I think. Field because it would actually force me to slow down and set up shots whether for portraits, landscape, or street. But the press is good because it still lets me do all that but with slightly less movements but more portability.

Shanghai is a little expensive here in Japan so I'll probably start off with Foma. I've also got 100 sheets of old Arista Ortho Litho I for a song that I'll likely okay with once I confirm whatever camera I buy is working.

Hokkaido really is beautiful and it's a popular place for bike touring. Since New Year's recently passed I saw a lot of riders going up north to Wakkanai to ring in the new year. They're absolutely bonkers, but every year hundreds of riders go up to watch them first sunrise from the northernmost tip of Japan. Hope you get to make it back here some day.

Welcome!

I am in Kyoto at the present time -- traveling with my sons (one lives and works in Tokyo), and my Rolleicord. It would be great. to have my 4x5 or 5x7 with me, but that just did not fit into our plans. We'll be biking for a few days soon, but at the present time, my boys are walking my feet off! I was pleased to find 120 film in Tokyo...only brought 8 rolls with me from California.

Good luck finding. the right camera!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China