Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drymount Substrate

Re: Drymount Substrate

I used to use something like this: http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...e-accessories/
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I think this is the right stuff instead of foam board as a backing

Drew Wiley

Corrugated isn't dimensionally stable enough for anything big. I don't like its ability to attract humidity either. Corrugated styrene is cheap and abundant - a bit too flexible, but better than acid-free corrugated cardboard in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Doremus. do you mind mentioning the backing you use, we are considering to move to a corrugated material for our backing other than acid free foam
    Hi Bob,

I still have a large supply of Light Impressions Archival Corrugated, similar to or the same as what was linked to above from years ago. Light Impressions, as you know, has undergone a lot of changes since I purchased my stash. I was hesitant to order any more from them, but you might give them a try; maybe they are more reliable now. I used to like their products a lot, especially the interleaving papers.

Anyway, lately I've been ordering corrugated in sizes I don't have lots of from other sources; B&H, university products, etc. A simple search for "archival corrugated" should get you lots of sources; even maybe some in Canada

Drew,

You can get archival corrugated in double-wall as well as single, which is fairly stiff. FWIW I've used single wall 1/8" thick corrugated for frames up to 22x28 with good results. As for moisture; it shouldn't be any more absorbent or moisture retentive than cotton rag board. I've never had any problems with it in that regard. I don't think mounted photos should be displayed in really humid environments, period, but if it can't be avoided, I would think a completely sealed framing option with desiccant of some sort might be in order.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

An impervious support mount on the back can be quite important. Museum board, cardboard, etc is quite hydroscopic. A nightmare scenario is either a tropical environment, or a commercial wall space which is poorly insulated, and subjected to serious day/night temp fluctuations. I have run decades of real-world tests with all kinds of substrates in various climates. I won't even use Crescent museum board because it's too hydroscopic. The old Light Impression product was decent, Strathmore too. Rising is the best, which seems to be the same brand Archival Methods is selling in cut sizes. But I demand vapor and condensation resistant backing behind the museum board itself. For the same reason I avoid true glass in front. Acrylic is a much better thermal insulator.

Note, by "backing" I don't mean what the print itself is mounted to, but the additional stiffener and protective layer behind the mats and glazing, involved in a complete framing sandwich.

I have actually done true hermetic encapsulation of big photos. It was involved and expensive. My own method was proprietary. The last one I did was a relatively small piece, but they intended to put it on a wall next to their sauna! I lost track after 20 years, but it was still holding up well to the steam.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 23-Dec-2023 at 14:01.