Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 8x10 camera for ultra-wide angle?

M.A. Wikstrom

Re: Best 8x10 camera for ultra-wide angle?

Maybe some of the old tail board cameras. Nothing to get in the way forward of the lens board, and with some the rear standard can be moved pretty close. With the bellows compressed my old Ansco Universal is right at 120mm, lens board to ground glass. I have the same lens, but haven't tried it on the Ansco yet (use it for 5x7).

Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Maybe some of the old tail board cameras. Nothing to get in the way forward of the lens board, and with some the rear standard can be moved pretty close. With the bellows compressed my old Ansco Universal is right at 120mm, lens board to ground glass. I have the same lens, but haven't tried it on the Ansco yet (use it for 5x7).
    This was essentially the case with the Calumet C-1. I used my 110 mm Super-Symmar XL on mine. The lens was mounted on a Calumet 4 x 4 inch board; the C-1 adapter for these boards was itself recessed. Of course the bellows was quite compressed but the coverage of the 110 mm didn't really allow for movements. There was the C-1's notorious issue where the shorter the lens the more the rear part of the bed tended to get in ones way for composing and focussing.

Sold the C-1 some years ago as I was getting too old to carry it about.

David

My 8x10 Deardorff can handle a 75mm Biogon. Of course the lens won't cover the format, but I love the circle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biogon8x10005.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	244870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biogon8x10002.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	244871

Love round!

Your porch is almost like mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    My 8x10 Deardorff can handle a 75mm Biogon. Of course the lens won't cover the format, but I love the circle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biogon8x10005.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	244870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biogon8x10002.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	244871
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post

Are there 8x10 cameras similarly made? I'm looking at putting a Nikkor SW 120mm on it which will better cover 8x10 than the Fujinon and be a little wider to boot.
    I think any cameras that can move the rear standard independently toward the front(hence avoiding the protruding front rail/bed) should in theory get the Nikon SW120 to focus . Obviously there are specific short bed SW cameras, like this Svedovsky: http://svedovsky.com/cameras/8x10w-camera/ Or the lot more expensive and if can be found in the open second hand market, Ebony SW 810

Personally I use a Deardorff(Rear standard being able to go forward but the best part, the lens board panel that can do a bit of up/down shift) and if when necessary a Sinar, but really that just in theory when one is thinking of needing extreme movements, but in my shooting anyway, with ultra wide, I almost never need to employ any movements.

I am thinking convert a Pin Hole box to close up with a bit of focus

I shoot in studio
    Tin Can

multiplex

a hobo

Drew Wiley

Non-folding compact wooden cameras with short racks and bag bellows are one excellent option. I think Ebony was the first to offer these. But many monorail cameras can be configured that way too. Just use a short rail section and a bag bellows.

If the OP is considering an old woody tail board, make sure the front standard can take the weight.
    Those wide lenses can be heavy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If the OP is considering an old woody tail board, make sure the front standard can take the weight.
    Those wide lenses can be heavy.
    Some are, some aren't - my Taylor Hobson Cooke VIIb 159mm f/6.5 covers 8x10 with no issue and it's about the same weight as your typical 120mm Angulon in a shutter. A Super Angulon that can cover 8x10 is a different story...