Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting 4x5 camera for Long Tele application Longest bellow possible ?

Re: Selecting 4x5 camera for Long Tele application Longest bellow possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    For an 800mm extension, you definitely need a monorail camera.
    Sinar, Toyo, Cambo all made intermediate standards, as I think others also may have. They're called "Intermediate Standards" - surprise!
    I have these standards (and cameras and other accessories) for these three brands.
    Wista did make a tele-macro rail for very long extensions with their metal field cameras. I think I have some of the components, but I have to confirm.

Send me an email if you'd like to discuss further.

Kumar
    Thank you. Sent email.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Yup, Sinar really is the way to go. If cost-constrained, look for a Sinar F2, which will come with a 12” rail standard. Extensions come in 6”, 12”, and 18” lengths, and screw together end to end as needed. For 800mm, you may want two tripod adapters and at least a support leg under the second one. Two standard bellows connected by an intermediate standard should do the trick.

If you need precision geared movements, look for a Sinar P instead of the F.

And the older Norma is even more beautifully made and nearly all the components are interchangeable, so a Norma intermediate standard will work fine on an F or a P. But Norma cameras in good shape are getting pricier than P models, which can be had cheaply. Example: I bought a Sinar P Expert Kit in its case for $300 three or four years ago. The Expert Kit already has the rail extensions.

Nothing else is as reconfigurable and versatile for the money (or really any amount of money), and the low prices on the used market are because of relatively abundant supply not and problem with quality. But these were used by pros so condition has to be carefully checked.

Rick “Science, Industry, Nature, Architecture, Reproduction” Denney
    Thank you.

4X5 to 11X14
    75" bellows

I mostly shoot 610mm and 900mm

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Beauty Lighting 790mm F14 Apo Ronar 5x7 Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Setting up to use the big 790mm F14 Apo Ronar on the 5x7 Sinar Norma. 47 inches of bellows extension equals 1 1/2 stop bellows factor. Will try some horizontals, using HRU XRay and also Ilford Ortho Commercial. I placed a large order for 13x18cm B&W (buying a variety) from PhotoImpex in Germany. Should be shipping soon as Ilford delivers to them 13x18 Delta 100. Ordered FP4+, Fomapan 200, Fomapan 100, Adox CHS 100 II, and Delta 100 all in 13x18 format. I have plenty of 13x18cm Sinar Norma holders
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

For someone who isn't locked in to off-the-shelf equipment, consider this: much of the extension from film to lens doesn't need to be a bellows. A stove pipe or black plastic drain pipe can be trimmed or extended to great length and probably be easily adapted to the front of many of the cameras mentioned above. I've used drain pipe to extend the reach of a camera about 20 feet.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    For someone who isn't locked in to off-the-shelf equipment, consider this: much of the extension from film to lens doesn't need to be a bellows. A stove pipe or black plastic drain pipe can be trimmed or extended to great length and probably be easily adapted to the front of many of the cameras mentioned above. I've used drain pipe to extend the reach of a camera about 20 feet.
    Hi Jim

It's funny you said this, I was thinking "telescopic drain pipe" when I read the original post, and there you go .. thanks !
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-H View Post
    Thank you. I'm trying to avoid crop. So with Nikkor-T ED 500 mm, i've FFD 350 mm. Hoping that by 400mm, i'll be able to focus inside my studio (so more as i'm not focusing on infinity). But if i'll go to 800mm then i'll be at 1:1 reproduction ratio. At least that is my hope.
    If the 500mm has a FFL of 350mm, you'll need 350mm + 500mm (850mm) to reach 1:1 -- but 800mm will be darn close. So all you need is a tiny crop for 1:1.

Cambo SF currently at 42 inches but I'm looking at an extension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZSC_0722.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	244748

I agree with this suggestion, especially if you have a fixed studio setup where the distance between the film plane and the subject remains constant.

I utilize an ALPA camera equipped with metal extension boxes in my digital medium format setup.
    While it's not a drain pipe, it follows a similar design concept: no bellows and the distance remains fixed unless I incorporate additional extension boxes.

I have used this same setup on a tripod for macro shooting slices.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Beauty Lighting 790mm F14 Apo Ronar 5x7 Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Setting up to use the big 790mm F14 Apo Ronar on the 5x7 Sinar Norma. 47 inches of bellows extension equals 1 1/2 stop bellows factor. Will try some horizontals, using HRU XRay and also Ilford Ortho Commercial. I placed a large order for 13x18cm B&W (buying a variety) from PhotoImpex in Germany. Should be shipping soon as Ilford delivers to them 13x18 Delta 100. Ordered FP4+, Fomapan 200, Fomapan 100, Adox CHS 100 II, and Delta 100 all in 13x18 format. I have plenty of 13x18cm Sinar Norma holders
    Great. These pictures are very helpful in terms of studio space needed perspective. Thank you.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    4X5 to 11X14
    75" bellows

I mostly shoot 610mm and 900mm

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    If the 500mm has a FFL of 350mm, you'll need 350mm + 500mm (850mm) to reach 1:1 -- but 800mm will be darn close. So all you need is a tiny crop for 1:1.
    Yup. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I agree with this suggestion, especially if you have a fixed studio setup where the distance between the film plane and the subject remains constant.

I utilize an ALPA camera equipped with metal extension boxes in my digital medium format setup.
    While it's not a drain pipe, it follows a similar design concept: no bellows and the distance remains fixed unless I incorporate additional extension boxes.

I have used this same setup on a tripod for macro shooting slices.
    Got it. Thank you. This helps a lot. I've serious health issue and I'm limited to what amount of weight i can pick. I'd to sell beloved 400 2.8 as result of that. So getting hallow can as fixed extension works great for me. I'm pretty clear of what i'm looking for so, I guess, I'll have to start taking measurements of bank balance and hollow extensions to get that 1:1 focus.
    Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-H View Post
    Thank you. I'm trying to avoid crop. So with Nikkor-T ED 500 mm, i've FFD 350 mm. Hoping that by 400mm, i'll be able to focus inside my studio (so more as i'm not focusing on infinity). But if i'll go to 800mm then i'll be at 1:1 reproduction ratio. At least that is my hope.
    Why do you need 1:1 if, per the discussion in the other thread, your interest is in portraiture? 1:1 on 4x5 means recording only a portion of someone's face, not even a tightly-cropped complete head shot.

If what you're really after is, say, head-and-shoulders shots, then 1:2.5 or 1:3 should be all that you need, and that will make finding a suitable camera setup much easier.