Thread: I'd like to try wet scanning my 8x10, on a flat bed, some tips?

I'd like to try wet scanning my 8x10, on a flat bed, some tips?

Hello all, it is windier than Chicago politics right now in Southern California.
    I do some wet scanning on my 35mm, 120 film on one of those holders that have a ANR glass.

Equipment: Epson V700

I read some information before but I'd like to know what your workflow is like

I've read someone say apply masking tape to the edge of the glass so liquid doesn't seep in. Okay, noted.

What else should I be doing? I will try using some of that non-glare picture frame "glass" (I know it's not glass)

So I'm thinking:
    liquid right on the glass
    film emulsion up
    liquid on film
    anr "glass" on top
    I'll place some acetate on top of to roll out the liquid, then remove acetate
    Scan
    curse at the sky for taking a crappy photo
    repeat process

Does this sound like what you guys are doing?
    --

Re: I'd like to try wet scanning my 8x10, on a flat bed, some tips?

That's almost what I do, except I don't use the glass or remove the acetate. Therefore, my setup is: puddle of scanning fluid on the glass, film emulsion up, puddle of scanning fluid on film, acetate, roll out air bells (if any) and excess fluid, cleanup excess fluid with scanner wipe, then scan. I've never had any issues with film flatness, if that's what you're using the glass for. And, I do, also, tape around the edges of the scanner bed to eliminate any possibility of fluid getting under the glass and/or down into the scanner hardware.

If you've never scanned 8x10 and you scan 16-bit, then prepare yourself for some massive image files, assuming you scan at max (or tested best) optical resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    That's almost what I do, except I don't use the glass or remove the acetate. Therefore, my setup is: puddle of scanning fluid on the glass, film emulsion up, puddle of scanning fluid on film, acetate, roll out air bells (if any) and excess fluid, cleanup excess fluid with scanner wipe, then scan. I've never had any issues with film flatness, if that's what you're using the glass for. And, I do, also, tape around the edges of the scanner bed to eliminate any possibility of fluid getting under the glass and/or down into the scanner hardware.

If you've never scanned 8x10 and you scan 16-bit, then prepare yourself for some massive image files, assuming you scan at max (or tested best) optical resolution.
    This is great info!!! So just acetate on top.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    This is great info!!! So just acetate on top.
    I don't know if all acetate is created equal, but I got mine from Aztek and the box is labeled: Scanner Overlay Graphic Arts film. I use KAMI fluid. Once everything is laid down and rolled out, the film and acetate stick well to the glass scanner bed. Therefore, IMO there is no need to introduce another piece of glass.

Depending on what scanning fluid you use, masking tape is unlikely to work. The fluid will likely just eat the adhesive. Kami tape would work well. Tape the edge of the glass/plastic interface to keep fluid from getting in the scanner, and be a bit careful.

Clean glass and film. Cut a piece of scanning mylar at least 1 inch bigger than the film in each direction. Spray/squirt some scanning fluid on the bed at one edge. Lay the film down starting at one edge such that the film starts in the fluid and rolls smoothly on the glass pushing the fluid along as it goes. Spray some fluid on top of the film, and now lay down the cover sheet in the same way. Use a squeegee to get out any bubbles. If you scan immediately, you might not have to tape down the edges of the mylar, as cleaning adhesive off the glass can cause scratches.

I've done a lot of this. Make sure the added quality is really worth all of the hassle. In the end, and for my uses, I decided that it wasn't worth it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I don't know if all acetate is created equal, but I got mine from Aztek and the box is labeled: Scanner Overlay Graphic Arts film. I use KAMI fluid. Once everything is laid down and rolled out, the film and acetate stick well to the glass scanner bed. Therefore, IMO there is no need to introduce another piece of glass.
    Aztek is literally 1.5 miles from my house
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Depending on what scanning fluid you use, masking tape is unlikely to work. The fluid will likely just eat the adhesive. Kami tape would work well. Tape the edge of the glass/plastic interface to keep fluid from getting in the scanner, and be a bit careful.

Clean glass and film. Cut a piece of scanning mylar at least 1 inch bigger than the film in each direction. Spray/squirt some scanning fluid on the bed at one edge. Lay the film down starting at one edge such that the film starts in the fluid and rolls smoothly on the glass pushing the fluid along as it goes. Spray some fluid on top of the film, and now lay down the cover sheet in the same way. Use a squeegee to get out any bubbles. If you scan immediately, you might not have to tape down the edges of the mylar, as cleaning adhesive off the glass can cause scratches.

I've done a lot of this. Make sure the added quality is really worth all of the hassle. In the end, and for my uses, I decided that it wasn't worth it.
    This is really good tip! Thanks. There is a real art shop about 30 minute drive from me, one of the few here, there are lots in Los Angeles but too far. I will look for that Kami. And kami tape, let me look at their website and see if I can find it.

With INSANE prices of film, etc, etc, it is worth getting the good stuff. Not like it's digital and you can bang out 30 images. It's gonna be 1 or 2 good LF shots at a time for me in 2024. Now that I have a SP810, I can process right away instead of getting the bathtub ready for a session.
    --