Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Entry Strategy

Re-Entry Strategy

I’ve been away from the forum and LF photography for several years. Now looking to re-engage. Wondering if my approach is sound-minded.

I went waaay down a rabbit hole in the late 90s, early 2000’s starting with a press camera and then onto a Wisner 4x5. I had a lot of fun but never quite mastered the technical controls to get maximum sharpness. Digital became more affordable and I sold my stuff to learn to make videos. The only thing I held onto was my light meter, loop and the few boxes of negatives I made. Fast forward, and I’ve been shooting film almost exclusively for well over a year. Just bought a MF camera and am really enjoying the larger image and developing at home. Developing at home really helps control the cost. BUT now I miss that really big negative! YouTube isn’t helping either, because now I know there are very inexpensive entry (or re-entry) level cameras out there. Honestly if I had YouTube 20 years ago I’d still have that Wisner because I’d have a better understanding of how to utilize the movements.

So I want to give it another try. The Intrepid looks like a no-brainer place to re-start. Add a lens, some holders and I’m ready to go. New device so I don’t have to worry about getting someone’s cast-away that needs repairs or a new bellows….yes, I know it’s not the precision tool like the Wisner was, but I want to ease back in, not dive in.

Thoughts??

Also I’m going to want to develop at home. No darkroom. I use a Patterson tank for my roll film. I see there’s an insert….does it work?

I live near a community darkroom for printing but it’s not worth the effort to go there to develop. And I imagine I’ll be scanning a fair amount (Epson V750).

I remember this community being very friendly and helpful. I even met complete strangers up in New Paltz for an afternoon of image-making and they didn’t kidnap or kill me!

Thanks

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Re-Entry Strategy

Welcome back!

First, I would respectfully suggest that you thoughtfully review and clearly clarify your goals. If you seek pinpoint focus then a more robust/precision camera than the Intrepid may be a better choice. If economical entry is priority, then it seems a great option. Personally, I’d reconsider the used option as careful shopping can easily avoid the potential problems you mentioned. You’ll need to exercise that skill buying lens/shutter anyway.

A focus on composition and interesting images should be the goal!

For processing look into the Stearman Press 4x5 processor. Real nice and affordable solution for daylight processing is small numbers of negs.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

M.A. Wikstrom

I have an Intrepid 5x7 and it's a great field camera that doesn't weigh me down and doesn't get in the way of making good photographs. With a careful and competent photographer it will make photographs just as sharp as anything else; and did I mention that it's lightweight?

M.A. Wikstrom

I've been using a Patterson tank with the Mod54 holder. Works fine for me. Adequate and complete agitation is the key - continuous for 30 seconds at the start and full/complete inversions, but a little slower than you might with roll film as to not dislodge the sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    I’ve been away from the forum and LF photography for several years. Now looking to re-engage. Wondering if my approach is sound-minded.

I went waaay down a rabbit hole in the late 90s, early 2000’s starting with a press camera and then onto a Wisner 4x5. I had a lot of fun but never quite mastered the technical controls to get maximum sharpness. Digital became more affordable and I sold my stuff to learn to make videos. The only thing I held onto was my light meter, loop and the few boxes of negatives I made. Fast forward, and I’ve been shooting film almost exclusively for well over a year. Just bought a MF camera and am really enjoying the larger image and developing at home. Developing at home really helps control the cost. BUT now I miss that really big negative! YouTube isn’t helping either, because now I know there are very inexpensive entry (or re-entry) level cameras out there. Honestly if I had YouTube 20 years ago I’d still have that Wisner because I’d have a better understanding of how to utilize the movements.

So I want to give it another try. The Intrepid looks like a no-brainer place to re-start. Add a lens, some holders and I’m ready to go. New device so I don’t have to worry about getting someone’s cast-away that needs repairs or a new bellows….yes, I know it’s not the precision tool like the Wisner was, but I want to ease back in, not dive in.

Thoughts??

Also I’m going to want to develop at home. No darkroom. I use a Patterson tank for my roll film. I see there’s an insert….does it work?

I live near a community darkroom for printing but it’s not worth the effort to go there to develop. And I imagine I’ll be scanning a fair amount (Epson V750).

I remember this community being very friendly and helpful. I even met complete strangers up in New Paltz for an afternoon of image-making and they didn’t kidnap or kill me!

Thanks
    Welcome back Bob. I've used LTI Lightside in Manhattan for developing BW in case you'll be using an outside lab. They don't do E6 chromes. I also ship my film to North Coast Photo Services in Carlsbad California. They do all processing including E6. Both firms return the film in plastic sleeves. I have a V850, and it does a nice job with 4x5. I'm sure your V750 will work well too.

I started four years ago during Covid with a new Chamonix. I also didn't want to start with someone else's problems. Of course, as mentioned, large format lenses are all used so you have to be diligent when buying those. Good luck.

Bob,
    There's no reason to think that you need a much more expensive camera than the Intrepid to get excellent results. The techniques that apply to the Intrepid also apply to cameras 10X the price, and vice versa. Mastery can be accomplished on any reasonably well built camera, and the Intrepid certainly qualifies. I still have my original version of the Intrepid 4x5 (2017) and I have not yet found any compelling reason to replace it with anything better.

There will always be someone happy to advise you to spend $$$$$ to get a new camera, but I think some people place more value on the device itself (and the more expensive, the more value it is perceived to have) than it's actual merits as a photography tool. I think the current version of the Intrepid 4x5 is an excellent choice.

One possible advantage of buying used is you can sometimes find an entire large format outfit for sale by someone exiting large format by choice or the big sleep. Might get a good bundle price on a camera, lenses, holders and other needed extras.

I highly endorse the Paterson tank system paired with the MOD 54 reel for 4x5 film development, as I've achieved consistent results with it over a decade of use.

On the other hand, I recently experimented with the "B's 4x5" development reel for Paterson tanks and cannot vouch for its performance.
    When employing my semi-stand development technique, the B's reel led to uneven development.
    However, it could be a viable alternative if you are not utilizing a semi-stand or stand development method.

Welcome back, and I wish you the best in your large format endeavors!

Thank you everyone. I just came in from a day afield with the 6x6 TLR, operating it as I would have if using my old 4x5. Tripod. Deliberate composition, metering etc. Very different from using it in "street" mode!

I'm not locked into the Intrepid but it seems like an 'easy' entry point rather than hunting Ebay etc. But I will poke around and see what's available used. I waited a long time for that Wisner to show up, and really don't want to go thru that wait again!

Brian asked about my goals. I'm an enthusiast. I take photos when I hike, go on vacation and the rare occasion I can get someone to pose for me! Mostly I'm outdoors. Here's a couple of photos from that Wisner. The metadata from the scan says it was shot with a 210mm Fuji. I have some other scans noting I had a 135mm Nikkor as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worlds Fair2 index scan014.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	244630

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Don Jan2011001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	244631

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    One possible advantage of buying used is you can sometimes find an entire large format outfit for sale by someone exiting large format by choice or the big sleep. Might get a good bundle price on a camera, lenses, holders and other needed extras.
    plus one!

Welcome back Bob glad to have you around again!
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 9-Dec-2023 at 18:42. Reason: add