Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby, it's cold outside...

Drew Wiley

Re: Baby, it's cold outside...

NEVER NEVER EVER SILICONE on wooden cameras!! It gradually breaks down cellular structure of both wood fibers and leather. Second, it's a one-way street; once you apply it, nothing else is going to get along with it.

Gaffer's tape in a Hollywood thing. It's temporary. Then there's book tape, the good stuff. If I had to do a bellows repair in the field, it would be black tent repair tape. But real ducks always carry Duck Tape, in case they need to repair a shotgun pellet wound on the fly. I once had to replace two snapped-off legs of a friend's Gitzo CF tripod, using prosthetic substitutes whittled from whitebark pine branches, and attached with the duct tape he brought along. It worked, and probably would have won the "World's Ugliest Tripod" award if anyone else had been around way up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    NEVER NEVER EVER SILICONE on wooden cameras!! It gradually breaks down cellular structure of both wood fibers and leather. Second, it's a one-way street; once you apply it, nothing else is going to get along with it.

Gaffer's tape in a Hollywood thing. It's temporary. Then there's book tape, the good stuff. If I had to do a bellows repair in the field, it would be black tent repair tape. But real ducks always carry Duck Tape, in case they need to repair a shotgun pellet wound on the fly. I once had to replace two snapped-off legs of a friend's Gitzo CF tripod, using prosthetic substitutes whittled from whitebark pine branches, and attached with the duct tape he brought along. It worked, and probably would have won the "World's Ugliest Tripod" award if anyone else had been around way up there.
    LOL I can picture that in my mind.
    I sparingly applied Renaissance Wax, but I have to confess that the smell of the stuff reminded me of Butchers Wax.
    It's probably my over-active imagination at work.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

carnauba, hard and slippery.

Drew Wiley

Pledge contains silicone. Bad for wood, bad for varnish. Stay away from sprays; sprays stray. End of poem. Please don't make a rap jingle out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    That's good to know, it's expensive stuff!
    and its what museums use when they wax up incredibly expensive items for display and storage. Gotta keep that half million dollar evaluated foot stool safe for future neglect.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    That's good to know, it's expensive stuff!
    While I’m a fan of paraffining my prints I was told aside from waxing down your gear with RW it’s good for translucentizing prints too. Not flammable like paraffin, which is good cause. Like drummers , prints and cameras sometimes self combust..

Renaissance Wax

Only prints, and wood cameras

NOT TOO expensive
    Tin Can