Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luna-pro advice. Which ones do you like and why?

Re: Luna-pro advice. Which ones do you like and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    IMHO the analog Gossen meters you want are the Lunasix F and Profisix, both of which use silicon blue cells, run on 9v batteries and have null dials. The Profisix has additional electronics for active adaptors including the 1/5/10 degree spot attachment, flash attachment and colour temperature attachments.
    DITTO

I've used them for decades, flawlessly. I really don't think you'll be disappointed by either. And I much prefer the dials, despite the slight bulk, over their sometimes more compact digital counterparts.

Anyone use the enlarging attachment and can recommend it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Gossen have recently introduced an adapter that makes it easy to use a pair of SR43 batteries in place of the now-obsolete PX625 mercury cells in the old Luna-Pro.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_set_for.html

sbc is great. its extreamly sensative and has the lowest ev of all meters. the spot attachment fits the regular meters as well as the sbc so you shouldnt have a problem finding one. just be aware using the spot attachment you will have to compensate the exposure reading as per instructions... it may just be a stop or so.

sbc is most saught after because it uses a regular 9v battery.

The spot meter attachment from the old Luna Pros does not fit on the Digital F, which is smaller. The Digital F is still available new as the "Sixtomat F2" (Gossen always had different model names in the US vs Europe, eg Luna Pro and Lunasix). The Digital F meter is one of the few pieces of kit I bought brand new full retail - over 25 years ago and still works like day 1- and have never regretted.

Personally, I think spot meters are better used after one has gained some experience with manual metering with a center-weighted or handheld meter and visualization, but many people feel otherwise. I like the old Luna Pros in operation, but at this point am putting off using them until I can check their calibration and buy or make a battery adapter with a diode to fit the smaller batteries and drop the voltage slightly.

I have a Gossen Multisix, that is one of the first digital meters from Gossen. It is the smaller version of the Mastersix, and it is compatible with all the non-electronic adapters from the lunasix series. I lke it very much, I'm now learning how to use in my improvised darkroom, with the adapter. I also have the tele and the "sonde" adapters.

I like my Luna-Pro F, that I purchased recently. I have the 7.5% and 15% spot reader already. The 7.5% spot reader requires a 3 stop correction, and this can be dialed into the meter itself using the built in correction factor.

This meter uses a 9 volt "transistor" battery that can be found in any store.

Just to be picky, the 7.5 and 15 degree adaptor for the Lunasix 3 is the "Tele" not "Spot". The "Spot" adaptor is the 1/5/10 degree attachment for the Profisix.

IMHO if you want to use the Tele adaptor (it has a funky/useful waist level finder) then the Lunasix 3 (or 3s) is IMHO the best, having red and green circle marks on the meter scale to compensate for the selected view angle. On all other meters the 2- or 3-stop adjustment needs to be made manually some other way, and failure to do so may lead to exposure error.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Just to be picky, the 7.5 and 15 degree adaptor for the Lunasix 3 is the "Tele" not "Spot". The "Spot" adaptor is the 1/5/10 degree attachment for the Profisix.

IMHO if you want to use the Tele adaptor (it has a funky/useful waist level finder) then the Lunasix 3 (or 3s) is IMHO the best, having red and green circle marks on the meter scale to compensate for the selected view angle. On all other meters the 2- or 3-stop adjustment needs to be made manually some other way, and failure to do so may lead to exposure error.
    If I’m not mistaken, even the profi system spot attachment requires compensation on the dial for correct readings.

They all work great if one uses them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, even the profi system spot attachment requires compensation on the dial for correct readings.

They all work great if one uses them correctly.
    No, the Profi-Spot attachment has active electronics that do the adjustments. Just select the spot angle, take a reading, null the dial. It's a shame the Spot attachment is larger than the light meter itself.

However if using the TELE adaptor: yes, a manual adjustment needs to be made on all meters. It's just easier to see what adjustment needs to be made on the Lunasix 3 (the red and green marks next to the yellow mark).