Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: film rinse/paper rinse

Re: film rinse/paper rinse

then can anyone explian how to do the ilford stabilised replenished wash bash set up for me?

Drew Wiley

If there's an ubiquitous air pollutant worse on prints than sulphur dioxide, it's the residual formaldehyde outgassing in plywood glues and so forth in new construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    i was thinking of using a chemical remover wash aid in my RC paper washing as a stabilised rinse bath as mentioned about in that ilford document.

But i have never actually gotten any sort of "this is what the process actually is"
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    then can anyone explian how to do the ilford stabilised replenished wash bash set up for me?
    Ilford gives quite clear instructions for proper processing of both its RC and FB papers. Follow them. Be aware that Ilford does not make nor recommend a stabilizer like Adostab. For that, you read the instructions that come with the product. The reference to stabilizers in the Ilford document likely refer to short-term stabilizing of prints for commercial purposes like newspaper/graphic arts applications, for which speed is important and not the lifespan of the print. Maybe someone here with more experience in those areas will add to our knowledge.

So to find your individual process with stabilizer, if you decide to use it, 1: use Ilford's recommendations for processing paper, 2: use Adostab's directions for using the stabilizer.

Another quick note about the document linked to above. It is not complete, only listing some of the possibilities. The more extensive discussion of Ilford's sequence for optimum permanence on their website has longer wash times for fiber-base papers when they are toned, etc.,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

"Stabilization processors" work on a whole different premise than standard darkroom workflow involving thorough fixing and washing. They were used in relation to short-term RC prints intended for offset printing lines. I remember those devices from High School yearbook days. NO RELATION to toning for sake of permanence, or Sistan usage, etc. Similarly, RA4 color print processing via rapid, replenished automated transport machines requires an extra stabilizer step, whereas fresh chem and well washed color darkroom prints don't.

Using HCA on low key prints can leave a visible haze on print surface after washing in mineral rich water supplies areas...

Film dosen't need wash aids... The film base does not absorb chems, and emulsion is thin and easily washes out...

Just wash well...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    ... Just wash well...

Steve K
    ... and your film and papers too!