Thread: New Here - Searching for Post Mortem Photo by Wm. Paisley Hughes of NC ca 1879-1910

New Here - Searching for Post Mortem Photo by Wm. Paisley Hughes of NC ca 1879-1910

I realize I'm grasping at straws but after fifteen years of dead ends, I'm hitting on all the photography sites I can find that might at least jog someone's memory of seeing/hearing about a photo I'm searching for. A NC/SC photographer by the name of Wm. Paisley Hughes who had studios in Charlotte NC and Columbia, SC (and possibly a few places in-between) took a post-mortem of a plain coffin, standing on end and open with a male cadaver inside. The image was supposedly taken in Greensboro, NC on August 28th, 1879 and according to stories handed down, sold to followers of the Thomas P. Bowman murder case. News venues across the US took up the story and several state that a photograph was taken and sold to "crime publications' and etc. I've talked to many people over the years who have heard the same but no one has seen it. The last known copy was in Caswell County in the 1930s.

Jog any memories? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Keeping my fingers crossed - thanks.

Re: New Here - Searching for Post Mortem Photo by Wm. Paisley Hughes of NC ca 1879-19

I'm a member of the photo history mailing list on groups.io (formerly yahoo). This sounds like a question for the knowledgable folks over there.

Re: New Here - Searching for Post Mortem Photo by Wm. Paisley Hughes of NC ca 1879-19

Jack Mord has an interest in post mortem photographs
    https://store.thanatos.net/pages/contact-jack

Reach out to Bob Gathany. Great photographer and very knowledable about historical Southern photography

https://bobgathany.photoshelter.com