Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

I think I finally overstepped my abilities. I bought a "Black Beast" a week ago and it arrived today.

It's the first camera that actually made me a bit apprehensive when I unwrapped it and wrestled it onto a tripod.

Other than being dirty from storage and a few tiny pinholes in the bellows, it's in remarkably good condition. I'll need to buy a lens, lens board (Deardorf compatible I believe) and a couple of holders to make it functional.

I pinched a large blood blister on one finger using a Calumet 4x5; this one could take off a leg if I am not careful.

Really beginning to wonder if I could ever take it out into the field beyond a few feet from the car, but I am willing to try (on a very calm day).

Any tips from dedicated users of this monstrosity will be appreciated.

I feel it's presence in the case next to me as I type this; hope it has good intentions toward me...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Re: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

It is a Studio camera

I sold 4 of them 10 years ago

BUT still use the very good backs on my huge copy camera
    Tin Can

Very industrial beasties. Quite quintessential American metal. I believe like the Calumet 4x5 this was originally an Eastman Master camera.

In my 50s, trekked one all across Florida swamps and prairies. I used a modified baby stroller as a cart. Brett Weston carried one all around the desert. Its a great camera. It requires a substantial tripod.

That said, when I hit 64, I traded for a lighter Wehman and the lighter tripod it can use.

Joel Edmondson

I back-packed a C-1 for thirty years along with one of the old Gitzo aluminum tripods. I am not "large" (5'8", 140 lbs) but I always managed the camera, tripod, Pentax spot-meter (analog), 4 film holders and 10" Wide-field Ektar or 210mm f6.8 Angulon. Up and down the Appalachian Trail and Chatooga River as well as North and South Carolina and Tennessee. I finally sold the C-1 about ten years ago when I hit 71 - only because I moved to south-central Georgia and there didn't seem to be much to photograph - no white-water, scant waterfalls. Just not my chosen subjects. I "auditioned" a Wista 810D but was not as happy - the Calumet C1 was always my Camera of choice after my first exposure to it while producing a GS catalog at Redstone Arsenal. I hope your experience mirrors mine!
    Joel

Hats off to those who hiked with this camera into the Wilderness!

Starting late at 63, I doubt I will be doing much of that but we will see.

Maybe if I don't get too far off the road on the Blue Ridge Parkway...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Do some strength training - weights, bands, etc.

Joel Edmondson

Best training - load up the camera and equipment into a back-pack and set off on a short excursion with a specific (and, yes, attainable) goal. For years the only camera I owned was the C1 and still today it would be my camera of choice. If you plan carefully and remember that it is not a race you will be fine and won't amputate any digits. Seriously, I envy you and if I were fortunate enough to be back in my chosen haunts, this would be my weapon of choice. Lot of great memories from Europe, California, Texas, Alabama - maybe I was a glutton for punishment after all. Good light Kino!
    Joel

I used the magnesium (green) version on the job in the '80s and '90s, although that was industrial and studio work.
    Don't be intimidated by the C-1 (a Calumet design btw). It's a fine machine.
    I'll say that the key to using any 8x10 in the field is having a comfortable outfit for it... backpack, baby jogger, cart, whatever works. And the right tripod for both you and the camera.
    Also recall the well-known (if often misquoted) saying from Brett Weston- "if it's more than fifty yards from the car, it's not photogenic."
    Best of luck!

I had a black version years ago when I was younger and stronger. It was definitely a load to carry around. The weight of it, for me, inspired naps, not photos.