Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where to stay in Hawaii

Re: where to stay in Hawaii

I'd recommend the big island. There are certainly lots of options for touristy and not-so-touristy stays. In addition, I think the big island offers a huge amount of photographic potential to a large format photographer. Also, if you stay on the big island, there is a wide variety of locations from Hilo (which is not very touristy) to Kona. And then there are places on Hawaii that are not on the coast. I'm sure its true of any of the islands, but you could surely choose from condos, to private homes, to bed and breakfast to mega hotels.

The one thing I see as a downside to Hawaii is that the food is expensive, and yet generally not very good. There were exceptions, but you kinda had to look around for them. Well, the flight was expensive too. I think my flight to Kona cost more than my flight to Europe and was nearly as much as my flights to Singapore.

As for photography, the big island has lots to offer. I spent two weeks there, but could easily find interesting things to shoot for a month.

Bora Bora.

I have been to Hawaii several times and for a laid back tropical vacation, I recomend paying a little bit more and sitting on the plane a little bit longer to get to Tahiti.

It is prettier, friendler and less crowded.

There are often really good package deals available.

I've lived in Hawaii for more than 10 years now. When I want to get away from the city, I normally go to either the Big Island or Kauai. I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Hilton Waikoloa, which was impressive.

Currently, the skies aren't too good on the southern part of the Big Island - a lot of volcanic haze everywhere. I'm don't think the Volcanic National Park is even open now, because of the volcanic activity going on there.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions, I do know my way around my state a bit.

Andrew Moxom

I'l also vouch for the Big Island. I stayed in the Hilton Waikoloa like Robert, and I've stayed in the town of Volcano (just outside of the park) in a bed and breakfast called Aloha Junction. I can thoroughly recommend both. Aloha Junction allows you to explore the volcano national park over the series of a few days which really is the way to do it. Enjoy.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Shields View Post
    Bora Bora.

I have been to Hawaii several times and for a laid back tropical vacation, I recomend paying a little bit more and sitting on the plane a little bit longer to get to Tahiti.

It is prettier, friendler and less crowded.

There are often really good package deals available.
    mmmm, someone is ringing my bell - sounds great when do we go?!!

We just got back from 3 weeks on Kauai. Perfect weather. If you go to Kauai I recommend you stay in the Poipu (southern side) of the Island. We (SWMBO and her Parents) rented a condo for most of the trip. Photographically speaking I found it somewhat difficult to break out of the standard cliche's, sunset, crashing waves, waterfalls, pretty flowers, whales, etc but on the other hand we now have a lot of pretty wall coverings.
    PM me if want any details regardnig were to stay.
    Regards,
    JGB

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I've lived in Hawaii for more than 10 years now. When I want to get away from the city, I normally go to either the Big Island or Kauai. I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Hilton Waikoloa, which was impressive.

Currently, the skies aren't too good on the southern part of the Big Island - a lot of volcanic haze everywhere. I'm don't think the Volcanic National Park is even open now, because of the volcanic activity going on there.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions, I do know my way around my state a bit.
    This report is from Volcano and is very recent. He may have come in from the east side to get his photos (don't remember the name of the town), but I suspect the park is still open.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/i...0b1d1e&u=32389

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    This report is from Volcano and is very recent. He may have come in from the east side to get his photos (don't remember the name of the town), but I suspect the park is still open.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/i...0b1d1e&u=32389
    The state built a new viewing area for the lava flow, just opened last week. You get access to it from the Hilo side; it is on state owned land.

The reason I'm not sure about the park is that there is now a plume of ash coming from Kilauea Volcano's Halema`uma`u Crater. This crater is very near the park's entrance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23785816

Easy to resolve. The NPS site has info.
    Most of the park and its facilities remain open including Kilauea Visitor Center, Volcano House hotel, Kilauea Military Camp, Volcano Art Center Gallery, Thurston Lava Tube, Devastation Trail, Kilauea Iki Trail, Sulphur Banks Trail, Chain of Craters Road, Kulanaokuaiki Campground, and all backcountry campsites
    http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm

Tim,

Kuai is a beautiful island to explore... black sandy beaches and all. Very peaceful!

We stayed at Princeville on the far side of the island... get a bit more moisture there but it's gorgeous! When you're looking out at the swimming pool it looks contiguous with the ocean.

And, if you're a golfer, that's one of the courses used in tournaments played by the likes of Tiger Woods. In fact, he was there when we visited.

You'll also need a car to get around the island.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!