Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Re: Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    The model that I have is LS-324CL. It's a very nice tripod for the money.
    I have many Gitzo's, both aluminum and carbon fiber. They're all gathering dust, though. I use the LS-324CL for everything from digital to 8x10. I love the increased height available over my other tripods.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I highly recommend the Feisol 3372L tripod legs, which is the long version of my Feisol 3372. Really beefy legs and lightweight.

Here are the specs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ING.html/specs

The 3372L is the long version of my 3372 and weighs 4.8 lbs. (Mine weighs 3.9 lbs.) Kerry Thalmann carried these, and he sold me some of his last remaining stock. (So glad that he did.) Either has a maximum capacity of 66 lbs. I've used mine with a Deardorff 8x10 with no problem at all. I was at a Sexton workshop, when Sexton considerately suggested that I use the upper segments versus the lower segments of my tripod legs for improved stability. But the fact was, my lower segments were more beefy than the upper segments of his Gitzo CF tripod. So, I had all the stability that I needed.

I use my Feisol 3372 with an Arca D4 head which, although expensive, is a terrific combination. The two together weigh 5.7 lbs; the D4 has a maximum capacity of 75 lbs.

The Feisol 3472(L) has four leg segments (versus only 3), and it's possible to purchase this tripod with a leveling head. But with mine, I keep it simple. Besides, my D4 head has leveling capability.

Carbon Fiber Tripod for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I highly recommend the Feisol 3372L tripod legs, which is the long version of my Feisol 3372. Really beefy legs and lightweight.

Here are the specs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ING.html/specs

The 3372L is the long version of my 3372 and weighs 4.8 lbs. (Mine weighs 3.9 lbs.) Kerry Thalmann carried these, and he sold me some of his last remaining stock. (So glad that he did.) Either has a maximum capacity of 66 lbs. I've used mine with a Deardorff 8x10 with no problem at all. I was at a Sexton workshop, when Sexton considerately suggested that I use the upper segments versus the lower segments of my tripod legs for improved stability. But the fact was, my lower segments were more beefy than the upper segments of his Gitzo CF tripod. So, I had all the stability that I needed.

I use my Feisol 3372 with an Arca D4 head which, although expensive, is a terrific combination. The two together weigh 5.7 lbs; the D4 has a maximum capacity of 75 lbs.

The Feisol 3472(L) has four leg segments (versus only 3), and it's possible to purchase this tripod with a leveling head. But with mine, I keep it simple. Besides, my D4 head has leveling capability.
    I’m just going to say that the D4 is an excellent geared head but it definitely cannot handle 75 lbs unless it’s perfectly vertical (no roll/pitch). So that’s a bit of a deceiving spec (that Arca Swiss advertises). Otherwise it will yield. I find it can handle a light 8x10 fine, but if the camera/lens combo approaches 20-25 lbs or more… well, just don’t try if you don’t want to cry. For such heavier cameras, a Gitzo 1570M is the way to go (even if you give up the geared control). Or you can go down to a 1370M if it’s less than ~20 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I’m just going to say that the D4 is an excellent geared head but it definitely cannot handle 75 lbs unless it’s perfectly vertical (no roll/pitch). So that’s a bit of a deceiving spec (that Arca Swiss advertises). . . .
    Not surprising. I wondered about that spec as well. But, I would be comfortable using this head with a light-weight 8x10. I have a light 8x10, and the two work well together.

It is indeed a geared head; but releasing the friction locks, it operates effectively as a ball head as well. That's one of the reasons I sprang for this head.

I use it primarily with my 4x5 Arca hybrid camera, my Mamiya Universal Press, and 35mm film and digital cameras.

Drew Wiley

My Feisol for 8X10 usage is a CT 3472. The 3372 seems just too light 8x10 (my 8x10 is a Phillips folder). And center columns? -anathema. I remove those.