Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Drymount Experience

Recent Drymount Experience

I'd like to dry mount some prints. I have a Seal 210mx (I think), but I haven't used it in 20 years or so. For anyone who's done some of this recently, what dry mount paper do you recommend? I'd be mounting fiber-based silver gelatin prints.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Recent Drymount Experience

Hi Peter - it’s a timely question for me as I’m finally running out of Seal/Bienfang Colormount and it is no longer available.

What I’d probably do is get some Arista dry mount tissue from Freestyle. Based on the specs it is the same type of thing as Colormount was (ie bonds at a similar temperature, permanent, pH-neutral/buffered).

Post-Bienfang, it seems both Colormount and Buffermount ended up being D&K products. While Buffermount (which I always found annoying to use until John Sexton told be he used Colourmount which bonded at-temperature instead of while cooling) seems to still be somewhat available from D&K, Colormount was discontinued and replaced with a similar D&K product called NTMT.

Alternatively both B&H and Freestyle sell Drytac Trimount tissue which seems to be similar but I have no personal experience with it.

Maybe someone like Bob Carnie will have better/other options to recommend.

Peter, I have been using Seal MT5 that I have had for many years to mount fiber prints. Depending on how many prints you need I may be able to give you what you need. I have 11x14 sheets. I'm 30min from you.
    Dave

Dave, that's very kind of you! I'll see what print I end up wanting to mount.

Michael, thanks! I new there were changes in who made what....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Hi Peter

I use a Drytac Adehsive , not sure of the exact name as I purchase from a middle man and the box does not have a name on it.. but I think its Tri Mount.

Drew Wiley

Drytac Trimount is an excellent product and the current standard. Very similar to Seal Colormount in usage, as well as the interim DK version, which now seems to have disappeared itself. These all fully bonds upon cooling; so once you remove your work from the press, put it under a bit flat weight. I use a large sheet of 1/4 thick glass. I keep the press temp at 200 to 220 F. Old school MT5 needed more like a 240F setting, which is too hot for Colormount or Trimount, and might lead to heat blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Peter

I use a Drytac Adehsive , not sure of the exact name as I purchase from a middle man and the box does not have a name on it.. but I think its Tri Mount.
    Thanks, Bob. I don't know that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Thanks, Bob. I don't know that one.
    It seems to be what B&H, Freestyle etc. are all selling. It seems to be similar to the old Colormount and the currently available Arista-branded product.

Drytac Trimount is the way to go with fiber based silver gelatin prints. Get a roll that suits your workflow/print size, and chop it down for use.

Quote Originally Posted by McSnood View Post
    Peter, I have been using Seal MT5 that I have had for many years to mount fiber prints. Depending on how many prints you need I may be able to give you what you need. I have 11x14 sheets. I'm 30min from you.
    Dave
    I'll second that MT5 is the best if you can get it. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. If the print is to be dry mounted, only MT5 can suffice. "Archival" tissues cannot match it's holding ability.