Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reasonable 120 - 135 lens for Tachihara 4x5 GF

Question reasonable 120 - 135 lens for Tachihara 4x5 GF

Hello,

in couple of days I should recive my very first LF camera - nearly as new Tachihara 4x5 GF. So now I have to get a lens for it. I was thinking already a long time and I would prefere my first lens to be equivalen to 35mm in 135 format, so something like 120 - 135 in 4x5. So, of course I am avare of the options on the market - I am just nosure what to look at . From all the threads I have read up to now concerning the lenses - it is clear to me that if I wll not print large (or enlarge) I will not be really sensible to little quality differences. But I may want to crop and then the enlarging factor may come to higher values (> 5). So - what I would like to ask you is to look at following list of lenses and give me you opinions which to go for (and wich rather to skip!) and how much to pay for it. I will be limeted to prices around ~ $ 350, so probably late models will not fitt.

Actually - concerning the coverage - how much one really need? I have no good feeling although one may compute the possibel movements but for what kind of work which ammount of coverage you find good - or at least acceptable int his focal range?

I would like to shoot landscapes and some cityscapes and maybe a bit of architecture and even some close-ups- just to give it a try.

I am considering:
    - Fuji W models (older single coated with larger coverage and newer EBC coated with somewhat less coverage) 125/5.6 W & 135/5.6W
    - Nikkor 135/5.6 W,
    - Roddenstock (Caltar) Sironar N 135/5.6, Apo Sironar N 135/5.6,
    - Schneider Symmar S 135/5.6, Apo Symmar 135/5.6
    - Kodak Ektar Wide Filed 135/6.3
    - Osaka/Congo Wide Field 120/5.6

Well, that's basicaly it. My favourit would probaly be Super Symmar HM 120/5.6, but this sels around $ 700 - 800 and that I can not afford (of course if anybody is willing to sel his copy for 350 I am here )

I am looiing forward for you opinions

Matus

Re: reasonable 120 - 135 lens for Tachihara 4x5 GF

I used a 135/6.3 Wide Field Ektar on my Tachihara for some years. It's a fine lens and a good match for the camera. The N/R/S/F lenses are newer and will have more contrast, but not necessarily have more resolution. The WF Ektar has more coverage than any of those- 85 degrees vs. 70 or so- and that will come in handy. It will usually be found in a Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter; this will probably need some attention. (My 1948 version was repaired in 1989 and is still working fine.) The newer lenses will most likely be in Copal shutters, which have legendary reliablity. One accessory you'd want for the WF Ektar is a Series 7>52mm filter adapter ring, which simplifies life a bit. You'll find a lot of lens information on this site, Kodak and other brands too.I have no experience with the Osaka/Congo lens, so can't comment.

Matus, at ~ $350 you are in the right price range for many current lenses in the 135mm to 150mm range. Check with Jim at Midwest Photo (jim@mpex.com) and also KEH. You will see that there are usually a number of 135/150 Caltar II N (rebadged Rodenstock Apo Sironar N's, Apo Sironar, Syymar S MC, Nikkor W and late Fuji MC lenses all available in that price range. It may be a bit less than some of them go for most of the time but for sure The Caltar IIN and the Symmar S MC will be in that price range. In fact KEH currently lists over 10 lenses in your price range ... some of them current models at under 300 (a Caltar II N MC).
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 18-May-2006 at 06:22.

Short of the 120 SS HM you should aim for a fuji NW 125 f5.6 (the multicoated version), wonderful lens, sharp and compact. Whatever you choose stay away from the older fuji single coated since the alleged generous coverage is a bunch of bs. I had one where any amount of movement would give you mushy edges. Also not impressed with the congo 120 f5.6: cheap and small but so soft it was hard to focus. I went through all of the lenses mentioned plus a 120 super ang. The Super Symmar HM and the fuji NW were almost always number 1 and 2, IMO.

Hi Matus,
    I have had the Congo 120mm, the Kodak 135mm and the Fuji W 125mm. Forget the Kodak! I have sold it. I have also sold the Congo. A good lens but the Fuji is the better one. I still use it. It has an huge coverage for 4x5 and it is very sharp.

- Ted -

I just mailed to Jim at mpex so let's see wheter he has somethig. Fuji NW lenses appear rather rarely on eBay.

- Walter -

How much would you find reasonable to pay for a nice fuji 125/5.6 NW ?

- Philippe -

May I ask which version of the Fuji do you have? is it marked inside the filter thread and mounted in Seiko shutter, or is it marked from outside the lens barrel and mounted in the copal shutter?

Hannover, Germany and Bratislava, Slovakia

Congratulations to your new camera

Quote Originally Posted by Martin D.
    Congratulations to your new camera
    Thanks. As you see I finaly made it through.

Matus,
    I was talking about Fuji 125mm W not NW. It's the old one, single coated (EBC) but lighter and with more coverage. The W 125mm has an image circle of 210mm against 198mm for the NW. The W accepts 46mm filters and the NW 52mm. The W family has a very good reputation and the lenses are hard to find and a bit overpriced. I have bought mine around 280€. But it is like new !

I use a Fuji CMW 125/5.6 with my Tachihara 4x5. It's one of my favorite lenses. I see Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) has one listed for $495.00. I don't know if that fits your budget but it's worth considering.

Cheers