Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is Arista EDU Ultra 400 ISO 8x10 any good?

Re: Is Arista EDU Ultra 400 ISO 8x10 any good?

Foma 200 in 5x4 and above is absolutely gorgeous stuff. If they repackaged it in a yellow box with red accents under a K brand it would command 3x its current price.

Anyone in doubt check out the work of the great Swedish photographer Vegar Moen.
    Last edited by tokyo_blues; 4-Dec-2023 at 00:55.

Drew Wiley

Not likely. I'll stick with the real yellow box. Much better quality control.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    If PE actually said or meant that he must have been having a bad day.
    PE having a bad day? not so sure about that. he was pretty with it most posts I read of his, and personal conversations ( some on this very topic in the old "chatroom" )
    .. it's a foundational number established in a lab so emulsion makers can use a specific/universal criteria to establish the film speed. he said that often.
    and whether or not someone's own methodology, their shutters being accurate, their metering being accurate their developer having the same activity, their agitation being the same &c
    determines a different ISO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. if you or someone else get the same ISO for your working methods more power to you, . it's funny that people make claims that try x is really iso 200 or foma is really iso 100 or tmx is really iso 32 and the
    manufacturers are being overly optimistic when they say 320/400, 200, 100 just to sell film or whatever is kind of weird, seeing they are using an established methodology to determine in a lab the ISO of their film.. and it couldn't be their working methods, what or even something subjective like what the user wants to have their negatives look like/ personal preference, or that the light was different ? it's an interesting topic that's for sure ... thankfully I expose everything at 1 second wide open so I don't have to worry about ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    thankfully I expose everything at 1 second wide open so I don't have to worry about ISO.
    #technicalexcellence lol

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    PE having a bad day? not so sure about that. he was pretty with it most posts I read of his, and personal conversations ( some on this very topic in the old "chatroom" )
    .. it's a foundational number established in a lab so emulsion makers can use a specific/universal criteria to establish the film speed. he said that often.
    and whether or not someone's own methodology, their shutters being accurate, their metering being accurate their developer having the same activity, their agitation being the same &c
    determines a different ISO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. if you or someone else get the same ISO for your working methods more power to you, . it's funny that people make claims that try x is really iso 200 or foma is really iso 100 or tmx is really iso 32 and the
    manufacturers are being overly optimistic when they say 320/400, 200, 100 just to sell film or whatever is kind of weird, seeing they are using an established methodology to determine in a lab the ISO of their film.. and it couldn't be their working methods, what or even something subjective like what the user wants to have their negatives look like/ personal preference, or that the light was different ? it's an interesting topic that's for sure ... thankfully I expose everything at 1 second wide open so I don't have to worry about ISO.
    Yes there are some weird conspiracy theories about "box" speed, and a lot of misunderstanding of the variables. It's mostly because people misinterpret things like the Zone System and also read bad information sold by people who shouldn't be writing books. It's just not all that complicated - but then again making it complicated is good for snake oil sales.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    #technicalexcellence lol
    works every time !
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Yes there are some weird conspiracy theories about "box" speed, and a lot of misunderstanding of the variables. It's mostly because people misinterpret things like the Zone System and also read bad information sold by people who shouldn't be writing books. It's just not all that complicated - but then again making it complicated is good for snake oil sales.
    couldn't agree more!

ALL film is good for many ARTS

MOST LIKELY some have agendas

I am done buying anything except food I cook and a small bit of red wine

Just had my wine

I have many plans

Cheers
    Tin Can