Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

Re: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Couldn't you pay for a proof of mailing receipt to the package and force the agent to give you a receipt? You might also consider a proof of receipt to get the signature of the person accepting the package.
    Alan, have you heard of Certified and Registered Mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Couldn't you pay for a proof of mailing receipt to the package and force the agent to give you a receipt? You might also consider a proof of receipt to get the signature of the person accepting the package.
    He is entitled to a receipt without having to pay extra. The post office I use most of the time gives me one every time without my even needing to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    As per USPS:
    “International mailpieces that require a customs declaration form and bear postage stamps must be presented by the customer to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office location.”

To obtain proof of mailing, you must bring your packages, along with the necessary customs forms, to the post office counter to be scanned and accepted. While you can purchase postage online and receive a tracking number, this doesn’t guarantee that the package has been shipped. The receipt you receive at the counter serves as the only official proof that the USPS has accepted your package.
    Yes, agreed. That's just what was done at the Post Office counter with the counter clerk, customs forms and all. US Mail/Customs has not been reliable to Canada. They are pretty OK thought with in-bound shipments from Japan and provide more detailed tracking information as well.

So I just recently purchased an expensive lens from Japan and it was shipped to me in the United States via DHL. I received communication from them that I needed to pay an import duty of about 5.5% to receive the package. From the paperwork if the item was listed as less than $800 I would not be charged a duty. I paid it and now have my lens.

-Joshua